Please note that we will move to our brand new offices in Waltham, located in 152 Grove St, Waltham, MA 02453 around March 2021
As a global leader in the sale of research antibodies, Abcam is committed to serving life science researchers to achieve their mission, faster. We continue to identify the biological pathways of greatest interest to our consumers and continuously strive to provide products of the highest quality with increased specificity, reproducibility and sensitivity. At the same time, through investment and acquisition, we are expanding into new markets, identifying new technologies and applications while moving into new geographic regions, thereby driving sustainable growth.
Abcam was founded in 1998 and has been listed on AIM since 2005. Market capitalisation is around £3bn and revenues for the last financial year ended 30 June 2020 were £260m.
The business continues to be strongly cash generative, and is putting that cash to work in both capital projects, to ensure the future scalability of the business, as well as investing further in the continued development of products and services. Strategic goals include expansion in growth markets and investing in operating capabilities to grow the business to £450 - £500m by 2023/24.
Job description overview
The global finance team comprises over 80 people with a significant concentration based in Cambridge, UK and a team of 8 based in Cambridge, MA, US. Following the Group recently obtaining a secondary listing on Nasdaq, the role of a SOx has become a key necessity to ensure development towards compliance with these regulations. The SOX Reporting Manager will support and work closely with the Group Finance team located in Cambridge, UK which is also supported by the Group Controls Manager and the Head of internal audit, but will also be required to interact closely with all areas of the business in order to drive SOx compliance.
The SOx Reporting Manager will be responsible for overseeing monthly controls compliance and improvements across the Group and possesses relevant technical experience and knowledge.
- Working with the Group Controls Manager, the role is responsible for the SOx business process controls, including consolidation, reporting, business performance reviews performed by Group team, indirect taxes, controls related to individual entities, treasury, financing, and equity controls
- Contribute to the scoping, risk assessment, and planning of SOx program as it relates to Group controls. Develop and execute periodic assessment of financial statement line items to determine whether they should be included in SOx scope.
- Perform / as necessary guide others on walkthroughs on an as-needed basis, for example as it relates to changes in existing controls design.
- Document updates to narratives, risk and control matrices and process flow documentation with input from control owners
- Coordinate with control owners routinely to provide guidance and support
- Contribute and lead in the control deficiency remediation update cycle and meetings and provide input into best remediation strategies for both local and global remediation themes.
- Design the S302 and S404 certification process, including ongoing monitoring/maintenance
- Responsible for coordination with internal audit and also any external SOx consultants and advisors
- Document and/or review SOx-relevant policies.
- Ensure appropriate SOx communications – to various audiences (ex. Sponsors, [SOX Steerco], Audit Committee, control owners, finance managers, etc.)
- Present to SOx Steerco and senior management as needed
- Maintain ongoing training in relevant SOx areas (evidence, thresholds, etc.) and best practices
- CPA qualified or Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or related field with minimum of [five] years' post qualified experience.
- Public accounting experience required.
- First hand experience in SOx reporting
- Strong understanding of IFRS, SOx, COSO, financial risks and controls
- Track record of technically proficient performance in multinational public companies with knowledge of accounting best practices.
- Strong independent mind-set. Capable of translating accounting and control requirements into operationally coherent business processes and procedures. Diligent, inquisitive with sound analytical skills and strong independent judgement.
- Working knowledge of functioning of accounting systems is important and experience of Oracle will be helpful although not essential.
- Time and project management skills, demonstrating thoroughness with ability to work under pressure in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment with continuous improvement through change. Tolerance for uncertainty, agile and adaptable.
- Strong communication skills to deal with a breadth of internal stakeholders up to senior level as well as external stakeholders
- Ability to travel internationally, if required.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc (www.abcamplc.com) began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.