|Job Type:||Full Time|
The Microsoft Quantum team is redefining what is possible with technology—creating unprecedented possibilities to solve humanity’s most complex challenges. Our team combines hardware innovation with software technologies and Azure services to build a scalable quantum computer in an industry-leading quantum ecosystem.
Are you a hardware engineer with a passion for science and technology? In this role, you are responsible for characterization of exotic materials as a part of a larger team across multiple sites and geographies, driving execution of qubit development. You actively drive the exchange with growth, fabrication and integration engineers to figure out what are the critical parameters to be measured and find a suitable method of characterizing this parameter fast and directly after the process. You prove the capability of the measurement by analyzing measurement and product data.
We are looking for a Principal Materials Scientist to join the team.
- Structural characterization of III-V semiconductor and similar materials, and superconducting metal/nanowire material systems
- Extend the existing materials characterization methods or develop new methods to fulfill the needs of quantum hardware team
- Develop optical, tactile and other characterization methods and tools to identify, quantify and understand materials properties relevant for a qubit
- Coordinate with external teams working on advanced material characterization methods and tools, and establish these capabilities internally
- Communicate and collaborate effectively on a cross-function team
- Advanced degree (PhD) in Materials Science, Physics, Engineering or related engineering discipline preferred
- 5+ years experience with structural imaging and analysis techniques such as TEM, SEM, XRD, EDX, AFM, KPFM, cAFM, STM, Reflecto-/Scatterometry, Cathodo-/Photoluminescence, optical microscopy
- Strong theoretical and experimental background in identifying and quantifying defects in crystals (Dislocations/stacking faults/point defects/grain boundaries)
- Strong background in different classes of materials especially in III-IV semiconductors, and their structure-process-property relationships
- Good understanding of electrical, optical, and mechanical behavior and characterization of materials at nanoscale
- Understanding of strain generation and relaxation in epitaxial thin films and Heterostructures desired
- Familiarity with electrical/magnetic/optical/thermo-mechanical behavior changes to materials at ultra low temperatures desired
- Existing network with equipment suppliers is a plus
- Experience with industrial statistical tools (JMP) is a plus
MICROSOFT BACKGROUND CHECK:
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.