|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft Cloud Operations & Innovation seeks new director for strategic energy initiatives focused on growing Microsoft’s cloud business. The candidate will manage a portfolio of activities to optimize and execute opportunities in datacenter energy supply, regulations, technology, and customer engagements. The scale of Microsoft’s operations and our evolving role in the energy sector requires strategic thinking to reimagine our role in an increasingly decarbonized world.
The candidate will have the ability to develop creative solutions that combine knowledge of power markets, evolving energy technology, the role of datacenters and cloud services in energy markets. The candidate will need to broadly understand the dynamics of energy markets and Microsoft’s own unique position in the energy sector. This necessitates that the candidate brings an innovative, collaborative presence to the role towards driving commercial & technology execution to realize business goals and develop complex solutions with multiple stakeholders to deliver business success.
And in alignment with our Microsoft values, candidates should be committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
- Lead datacenter special projects associated with datacenter energy strategy.
- Cultivate an innovative, collaborative team environment where each person is challenged and empowered to do their best work.
- Partner with key stakeholders across the company from energy verticals, sustainability, community engagement, and government affairs to deliver a comprehensive energy strategy that support both Microsoft’s success and the transition of the energy industry to a decarbonized future.
- Work collaboratively with external vendors and consultants to support strategic initiatives.
- Develop internal business cases including providing input on financial models and market research.
- Build relationships with external suppliers and partners, particularly electric utilities, governments officials, customers, and energy technology providers.
- Work with third parties to develop and monitor analytics tools for portfolio analysis.
- Business travel required (10%-25%, subject to fluctuation with business tempo).
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, finance, engineering disciplines, business, or sustainability
- 10+ years of experience in project management and development.
- 10+ years of experience in energy markets.
- Broad understanding of the power industry, energy regulation and policy, and energy technology.
- Strong commitment to diversity and inclusion, welcoming of diverse perspectives.
- Strong analytical capabilities to support review of markets, regulations, and business cases pertaining to energy strategy development.
- Possess an entrepreneurial, self-directed spirit and proven track record of project execution.
- Team player capable of adapting to ambiguous environments with cross-group collaboration and problem-solving abilities.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communications (verbal and written) skills.
- Growth mindset with problem-solving skills.
- Business experience in Central and or South America, including working proficiency in relevant languages, e.g. Spanish and/or Portuguese.
- Understanding and experience in working with energy and utility providers.
- Excellent creative thinking skills with emphasis on developing innovative solutions to solve complex problems that may not have a clear answer.
- General understanding of data centers and cloud services.
- MBA/post-graduate degree in relevant fields a plus, though experience in consulting and power/energy industries may substitute for relevant graduate education in this regard.
Cloud Background Screening Requirement:
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.