|Job Type:||Full Time|
Mixed Reality seamlessly blends the physical and digital worlds, unlocking the links between human, computer, and environment interaction. From digital overlays in the real world, to fully immersive virtual realities, this new wave in computing is based on advancements in computer vision, display technology, and input systems. Mixed Reality represents the future of collaboration and communication, one that puts humans at the center of every interaction.
The Mixed Reality Design & UX Research team is building a world class in-house team. We are looking for passionate designers who want to help us create devices and experiences for Microsoft that make peoples' lives better. You’ll join a team that explores and learns by making and testing, obsessing over every degree, pixel, word and micron. And each day, you’ll bring your curiosity about the world to re-imagining the relationship between people and technology.
Your work will shape the future of Mixed Reality.
This is an Industrial / Product Designer position within the Mixed Reality Design & UX Research team. You will be joining a team that drives vision and product development for Mixed Reality devices. We are looking for a passionate, collaborative and highly productive hybrid Industrial / Product Designer to join our world-class multidisciplinary team. This position requires a talented, hands-on problem solver with the ability to rapidly design, iterate and prototype in both the digital and physical domains.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to articulate rich experience-based stories through scenario development, communicate product principles through compelling design solutions, understand user behavior, needs and complex technical considerations to envision and deliver simple and elegant solutions that benefit the end user.
The candidate will need effective visual and verbal communication skills while working closely with team members, researchers, human factors and engineers in a highly collaborative environment. This is an exceptional opportunity for someone who is excited about making a real impact on the future of both consumer and enterprise electronics for HoloLens and the United States Military.
This position requires access to export-controlled commodities, technical data, technology, software, and services governed by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Due to contractual limitations and ITAR obligations associated with this role, U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, or protected person status under 8 U.S.C. § 1324b(a)(3) is required.
- Ability and desire to understand how the internal building blocks of a developing product can be manipulated and/or reconfigured to achieve optimal results for the end user.
- The ability to envision and implement divergent concepts, technologies or solutions that will ultimately benefit the product and the end user. And the ability to build team alignment around these complex, innovative design solutions through your articulate and informed point of view.
- A logical and practical understanding of “how things work” in physical reality, balanced with the ability to temporarily dismiss this knowledge to unleash your creative problem-solving, innovation and out-of-the-box thinking.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of work experience and a strong portfolio demonstrating breadth and creativity in industrial/product design and development; some consulting agency experience a plus.
- A strong command of one or more 3D CAD and rendering applications is critical to this role (SolidWorks, Creo, Rhino, Grasshopper, Alias, Keyshot, Octane, Redshift or similar) with proficiency in 2D design, graphics, and Adobe Suite.
- Strong foundation and understanding of materials, manufacturing processes, and design implementation as well as a solid understanding of mechanical engineering, 3D surface development, and product development.
- Experience in delivering low and high-fidelity physical and digital prototyping, embracing our iterative process and the ability to understand the idea of failing fast to move onto the next level of innovation.
- A bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design or Product Design or related discipline is required.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States and able to travel overseas.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.