|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft Cloud Operations and Infrastructure is the team behind the cloud. Microsoft CO+I is responsible for delivering over 200 Microsoft web portals, Live and Online Services around the world including infrastructure, security and compliance, operations, globalization, and manageability. Our focus is on smart growth, high efficiency, and delivering a trusted experience to customers and partners worldwide. We are looking for a passionate, high energy individual to help build the network that powers the world’s largest online services.
Within CO+I, the Datacenter Engineering (DCE) team is responsible for delivering core datacenter infrastructure for Microsoft’s cloud business. The MS portfolio consists of complex, multi-disciplinary, large scale, multi-year datacenter projects. DCE is in charge of engineering and design for all new datacenter builds and the technical compliance of leased capacity. This team delivers the engineered solutions that align CO+I service level agreements (SLAs).
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every dayIn alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day
Subject Matter Expert providing key input to other organizations and stakeholders. Candidate will be a Professional Electrical Engineer with extensive experience in datacenter electrical engineering, design, construction and operations. Candidate will manage, review and coordinate the delivery of complex datacenter electrical systems, power distribution systems and backup power systems.
- Conceptualizing and developing innovative and futuristic datacenter electrical system designs in collaboration with internal engineering groups, advanced development groups and external industry experts
- Collaborate and provide leadership for the global electrical team to develop the datacenter electrical designs basis of design (BOD)
- Collaborate and direct consultants in the design and coordination of the electrical systems with other disciplines, associated power and overall electrical topology for our datacenter builds
- Responsible for working with key stakeholders within Microsoft on understanding design requirements for future datacenter design concepts
- Interface closely with procurement team, equipment manufacturers and the global and local engineering teams to understand the electrical solutions needed for novel datacenter design concepts
- Responsible for specification and drawing development, detailing the sequence of operation for the electrical systems and overall drawings and specifications for new electrical topologies
- Technical review and analysis of the lease and colocation datacenter space from external providers for compliance with Microsoft requirements as required
- Collaborate closely with the Operations team for maximizing electrical infrastructure innovations and work with operations and equipment vendors for best practices and technological advances
This role requires some travel to various datacenter sites and equipment manufacturer factories and facilities.
- Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
- Registered Professional Engineer in Electrical Engineering
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in consulting engineering with minimum of 5 years’ experience as lead engineer
- Minimum 5 years’ experience with design, construction, operation or maintenance of large scale and complex electrical engineering systems (Datacenters, Micro Electronics are two examples of relevant industries)
- Ability to lead a team of engineers in advanced engineering and operational processes and procedures as they relate to large data center environments
- Experience in designing, operating, and commissioning of electrical distribution systems, from high voltage (HV) to branch circuits
- Experience with power system analysis and engineering software packages
- Knowledge of mechanical and control systems related to data center environments
- Ability to perform complex business case analysis to justify technical decisions
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology.
- Candidate must possess strong written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail and maintain high quality standards
- Detailed understanding of uninterruptible power sources, diesel generators, electrical switchgear, power distribution units, and automatic/static transfer switches
- Detailed understanding of relays, protection schemes, high-voltage distribution system, power and distribution transformers, earthing and switching
- Excellent knowledge of building codes and regulations
- Ability to prepare and present using MS office packages
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.