|Job Type:||Full Time|
Through deep engagements with students, universities, startups, government, and enterprises in the Northeast, Microsoft’s New England Research and Development Center (a.k.a. the NERD Center) plays a vital role in our mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.
Over the last decade, we have cultivated a highly respected reputation for Microsoft in our region. We now have the opportunity to expand Microsoft’s impact in more meaningful ways on the East Coast and increase our remit to the company along the way. Microsoft NERD is home to an incredibly talented and diverse group of researchers, engineers, and others in key businesses across Microsoft—from Azure and Microsoft 365 to Microsoft Research and AI. We are in Cambridge, MA within Kendall Square—often referred to as “the most innovative square mile on the planet.”
We seek a technical advisor to help us inspire a next generation of technologists, a community of employee activists, and an ecosystem of innovators. Reporting directly to the Site Leader, this is a unique opportunity to synthesize and tell the story of Microsoft research and engineering on the East Coast.
- Develop and tell the story of NERD’s strategic importance to Microsoft and New England. Communicate NERD’s story effectively to a range of audiences, including internal and external, deeply technical and non-technical.
- Cultivate high impact engagements with local academic and technical communities. Drive relevant events and programming to the NERD AI Conference Center. Position Microsoft as a principal thought leader within the region and promote Microsoft’s community engagement models.
- Drive key projects as required by GM and the NERD leadership team including customer and technical engagements. Act as a point-of-contact and spokesperson for the Microsoft engineering roadmap in our region.
- Identify and strengthen healthy strategic relationships with community/commercial organizations and associations. Pursue opportunities for partnership in the region that leverage technology industry trends aligned to Microsoft’s technical strategy.
- Develop a technical training agenda, aligned to Microsoft’s strategic direction and designed to meet customer needs, for employees in partnership with engineering leaders and HR.
- Discuss potential of new and expanded investment in New England with Microsoft leaders. Support the integration of new acquisitions and teams into the One Engineering community at the NERD center.
- 5+ years industry experience
- Education: MBA plus BS in Engineering, Computer Science, or related technical field; or equivalent experience
- Entrepreneurialism: Maintain enthusiasm and drive in the pursuit of long-term objectives.
- Leadership: Experience and passion for leading people and cultivating a culture reflective of our values around inclusion and customer obsession.
- Technical aptitude: Strong aptitude to understand technology industry trends and Microsoft’s technical strategy to identify opportunities for partnership in our region.
- Collaboration: Lead cross-disciplinary virtual teams both internal and external to Microsoft to define and drive key ecosystem engagement initiatives from creation to implementation in partnership with senior executives.
- Communication: Demonstrate effective influence and communication skills to clearly articulate and drive recommendations and priorities with executives and senior leaders across organizational boundaries.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.