|Job Type:||Full Time|
Are you a highly capable, motivated Data Architect with experience in data model design? Join us at Microsoft in building best in breed big data solutions to help fight cybercrime and promote customer trust in Microsoft products and services.
Earning -- and keeping -- the trust of our customers has never been more important as Microsoft works to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. The mission of Customer Security & Trust (CST) is delivering security capabilities and solutions to protect our customers and promote global trust in Microsoft. Customer Security & Trust Engineering (CST-E) is comprised of 6 teams with over 100 FTEs and vendors delivering engineering solutions to proactively fight cybercrime in support of Microsoft’s Digital Crimes Unit (DCU), support law enforcement through enabling Microsoft’s response to over 60,000 subpoena and warrant requests per year, lead corporate-wide security development lifecycle governance, provides tools and evidence for customers to trust Microsoft products and services while ensuring cultural relevance, and providing thought leadership for securing the use of technologies such as Open Source Software, Machine Learning, and Artificial Intelligence.
CST-E is going through an organizational transformation under the leadership of General Manager, Valecia Maclin, and has an immediate opening for a Data Architect who will operate as an organizational-wide asset. In this role, you will work across CST-E and in collaboration with partner CST teams and Microsoft Engineering Groups to ensure our end-to-end solution delivery is done with a focus on stakeholder priorities, timeliness, and excellence; while supporting the advocacy of our commitment to a diverse and inclusive culture.
In this role, you will be an influencer and contributor across our entire technology organization.
- Own the data architecture for Customer Security and Trust Engineering (CST-E). Lead the design, analysis, and data architecture efforts for real-time services and big data platforms to solve complex business problems.
- Define data standards for use across the CST-E technology stack.
- Assist in the transformation of high volume complex data structures into relevant information that can be used by Data Scientists, BI Analysts, and investigators.
- Work closely with product planning and business stakeholders to help define the strategy to best meet our customers’ needs.
- Become an expert on system architecture, functionality, and data flows as well as operations, processes and tools. Leverage business and application knowledge to create flexible and robust data solutions.
- Create and maintain a robust data dictionary and facilitate user adoption.
- Advocate on behalf of stakeholders and data consumers.
- Manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, prioritize workload effectively, and thrive in a dynamic environment.
- Coordinate with data owners to obtain access and identify data handling and security requirements.
- Create proof-of-concept tools to validate connectivity, throughput, and limitations of those data sources.
- Effectively manage trade-offs between effort/schedule and customer benefits.
- Collaborate with Engineers, Data Scientists, System Architects, Program Managers, Analysts, and Investigators to implement successful solutions.
- The successful candidate must be a U.S. Citizen.
- 5+ years of experience in big data technologies and principles including data architecture, design, data acquisition, data delivery methodologies, and performance optimization.
- Driven, proactive, and accustomed to working with aggressive project timelines and with a history of delivering high quality technical solutions to data-driven business challenges.
- Practical experience in data mining and analysis tools with intermediate to advanced query skills (ex. MS SQL, Synapse Analytics, Data Explorer, Cosmos, Hive, MR, RedShift, Snowflake, MySQL).
- Ability to understand JSON & XML streaming messages and create logical designs for transforming data into queriable structures.
- Experience leading and owning projects in a technical environment, enabling teams during the software development lifecycle.
- Ability to facilitate communication between technical and business stakeholders to ensure functional requirements and technical implementation considerations are understood and accepted.
- Talent for working cross functionally to drive the implementation of new features as well as resolve operational issues.
- Ability to learn quickly and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Exposure to big data platforms and tools (ex. Data Explorer, Cosmos, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Kafka, Lambda).
- Experience with BI/Analytics tools like PowerBI, QlikView or Tableau.
- High level understanding of JSON and/or XML parsing in Python, C#, Spark, Scala, or Java.
- Exposure to no-SQL technologies (ex. Cosmos, Mongo, Cassandra).
- Familiarity with data modeling tools like PowerDesigner.
- Experience with working in an Agile/SCRUM model.
- Skill with data architecture in a cloud environment.
- Experience with real time or near real time data ingestion and analysis technologies (ex. Azure Event Hub, Stream
- Analytics, Data Explorer).
- Familiarity with a data catalog tool, used to document definitions, sources, and refresh schedules to facilitate discovery and usage of data.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills. Ability to think creatively to come up with new solutions to complex problems.
- Strong customer service skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Desire to work in a rapidly evolving environment stay motivated and flexible.
- Ability to work cross functionally to deliver resolution of technical, procedural, and operational issues.
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, related technical field preferred, or equivalent work experience.
Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.