Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
The Collections Attorney will develop, lead and be integral to Discover’s efforts to collect receivables in Indiana/Arizona. Attorney will be responsible for all aspects of collection-related litigation, including but not limited to creating and filing pleadings and motions; attending court hearings; representing Discover in depositions, mediations, arbitrations and trials; arguing motions; and interacting with courts, opposing counsel and consumers. Additionally, the Collections Attorney will ensure compliance with applicable consumer laws and jurisdictional litigation rules and procedures and assist in the development of internal litigation requirements, guidelines and protocols. The successful candidate will enjoy building this expansion of Discover’s In-House Attorney Collection Team and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Handle all aspects of collection litigation from pre-suit review of accounts through post-judgment collection activity, including, but not limited to account review; drafting, reviewing, and signing pleadings, motions, and discovery; conducting legal research; attending court hearings; arguing motions; and representing Discover in depositions, mediations, arbitrations, and trial
- Maintain account, case, and court information in Discover’s matter management system, including but not limited to, documenting account reviews, court hearings, discovery deadlines and trial dates
- Work collaboratively with other Collection Attorneys and Legal Assistants to help develop and implement collections litigation policies, procedures, job aids, and template pleadings
- Conduct research and assist in efforts to expand internal collections team into additional jurisdictions, including but not limited to, drafting template pleadings, researching court filing and jurisdictional requirements, conducting legal research, and developing playbooks
- Collaborate with other business units, attorneys, and Compliance to ensure alignment of first- and third-party collection strategies, handling of consumer complaints, and other issues
- Help develop, maintain and transfer litigation knowledge within the In-House Attorney Collection Team by assisting with training on legal strategies, Company policies and procedures, and the litigation management system
- Interact regularly with courts, opposing counsel, consumers and other third parties
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- 4+ years of experience in collections litigation
- Active law license in Arizona or Indiana
*The incumbent of this role can be located in Phoenix, AZ or Indiana*
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.