|Location:||San Francisco, California|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Who We Are
Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About the role:
Come help us build the Machine Learning and Computer Vision team at Samsara! The ML / CV team is responsible for building and deploying the machine learning models that power our computer vision features, including distracted driving detection, time-to-collision estimation, lane departure warning, and more. Using a combination of proprietary Samsara data (1.6T+ sensor data points collected annually) and open source source data sets / models, join the team developing powerful ML features in both our cloud platform and on-the-edge to improve the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of our customers’ operations.
The Senior Machine Learning Engineer will be a core technical contributor on the ML / CV team with deep expertise in building and deploying scalable machine learning. The Senior ML Engineer will work closely with full-stack, firmware, and infrastructure / platform teams to build and deploy powerful computer vision features for our customers.
In this role, you will:
- Build and improve the accuracy of ML / CV models, including retraining and optimizing open-source models to solve Samsara-specific problems
- Shape Samsara’s big data into features for ML / CV models (e.g., using image data from our dashcams to build models supporting advanced safety features)
- Build the backend or edge infrastructure to scale our training and inference workload, including training pipelines, evaluation, and model deployment
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles
Minimum requirements for this role:
- 4+ years experience as a Data Scientist, Machine Learning Engineer, or similar role
- Strong proficiency in common languages (e.g., Python, SQL) and tools (e.g., TensorFlow, PyTorch, distributed training / inference with Spark) in the ML toolkit
- Experience building and deploying large-scale machine learning models with feedback loops for continuous improvement
- Experience building performant, distributed training and inference pipelines on very large datasets
- Comfortable with full-stack / backend development code to build a strong understanding of underlying data structures and other dependencies (For reference: We use Golang for our backend, Typescript and React for our web client, GraphQL to fetch data from our backend, and React Native for our mobile app)
An ideal candidate also has:
- Experience building, deploying, and optimizing ML models on the edge
- Experience building computer vision features
- MS / PhD in engineering or quantitative discipline (e.g., Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, etc.)
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all full-time global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
With the spread of COVID-19, Samsara's global offices will remain closed until further notice with the exception of employees that require access to hardware and lab equipment.
Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are also able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through June 2021, full list of locations here. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based and fully remote roles.
If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.