|Job Type:||Full Time|
The Mechanical CAD Specialist plays a critical role in the Product Development Team. This role also known as an MCAD Architect within Microsoft. Primary activities include working with Industrial Designers, Mechanical Engineers, and our manufacturing partners to develop world-class computer hardware products. For a given program, the primary deliverable for the MCAD Architect is the creation and maintenance of the Industrial Design-Driven Master CAD Model. These programs may include the enhancement of existing products as well as the development of new product designs and concepts.
- Participating in the creative development of new concepts and the evolution of concepts in development.
- Working with the Industrial Design (ID) team, the User Experience (UX) team, the Mechanical Engineering (ME) team and the Advanced Prototype Center (APC) in the development of CAD models ranging from rough concepts and prototypes to final Class-A Industrial Design Master Models.
- Developing a Top-Down Design Strategy that is appropriate for each product, while complying with various CAD Standards to ensure that each program is successful within the MCAD environment.
- Acting as a liaison between the ID and ME teams, ensuring that all ID requirements are captured, while helping to resolve ME issues during the development of a product.
- Understanding and supporting Mechanical Engineering, Tooling and Manufacturing requirements, while protecting ID intent through to production.
- Providing the necessary CAD data to the prototyping center to support the development of physical models.
- A degree in Mechanical Engineering / Industrial Design / another related field OR equivalent experience.
- 3 or more years of experience in Mechanical Engineering
- 3 or more years of experience in the development of Class-A Surface models, working closely with Industrial Designers is preferred
- Strong stakeholder management skills.
An advanced understanding of the Creo Parametric CAD software, including top-down design expertise and familiarity with complex surfacing techniques.
- Experience in the use of the Style tool (ISDX) within Creo
- A record of being well-organized, particularly with regards to managing the CAD data created while pursuing multiple design development paths.
- The ability, availability, and commitment to meet tight design schedules.
- Familiarity with large-scale CAD data management
Any experience in teaching others, either in a classroom setting or one-on-one.
- Familiarity with rapid prototyping.
- Experience with 3D printing and CNC model development is a plus.
- Technical experience with the mechanical engineering, tooling, and manufacturing of consumer products.
- Experience with Windchill / PDMLink is a plus.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.