|Job Type:||Full Time|
Core Services Engineering builds and manages the critical products and services that Microsoft runs on. We boldly pursue big ideas that power transformational advances at Microsoft and for our customers, while helping Microsoft teams work smarter, faster, and more securely every day. Core Services Engineering employees have deep technical and business expertise, customer insights, and a clear point of view that comes from first-hand, large-scale experience with Microsoft and industry solutions. We are engineers, technology leaders and experts, digital transformation change agents, and customer advocates.
We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more!
If you enjoy analyzing complicated problems, coming up with creative solutions, and working in focused teams to build reliable, scalable, and novel solutions, we want you to join our Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team in the Commercial Sales and Marketing team.
Our team is looking for engineers with broad experience in building and running distributed systems at global scale. We are people who write software to solve scalability, observability, security, reliability, and operability problems.
As SREs, our vision is to make it easy for everyone to create, consume, and manage planetary-scale, reliable cloud production services and infrastructure to achieve more. As a team, we bring our complementary capabilities together to support large and complex services and to solve some of the most exciting challenges in the company and our industry.
If you are excited by this type of challenge, and you love to work in groups of people who are similarly excited, come join us. We value the input of people who are not afraid to be learning all the time, who embrace mistakes as they show the way forward, and those who are excited to continuously improve both services and themselves. We strongly believe that diverse experiences, backgrounds, and an environment where everyone can feel safe to contribute their own insights in a data-driven, objective, and supportive way is the key to making the best workplace possible, and the best workplace makes the best products and services.
- Work on Microsoft’s Commercial Sales and Marketing services to design, develop, and improve services, platforms and processes that result in improved end-to-end reliability and maintainability for all our services.
- Create and drive adoption of tools that help deliver insights and automation to simplify the complex world large scale services.
- Communicate effectively and partner well with other disciplines of the project team to deliver high quality solutions from ideas to production code.
- Write clean and thorough design documents and code that exemplify quality, simplicity, and maintainability.
- Be a mentor for design reviews, code, and test cases.
- Design systems that prioritize the customer perspective and experience.
- Quickly adapt and apply new technologies, tools, methods, and processes from both internal and external sources.
- Design and influence design, implementation, and architectural direction.
- Drive architectural consolidation and simplification.
- Exemplify the Microsoft values of leveraging the work of others and helping others be successful through your behaviors and actions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or 5+ years professional experience in software development.
- 3+ years of experience writing production level code in compiled languages such as C++, C#, and Java.
- 3+ years using scripting languages such as Bash, Python, and PowerShell.
- 3+ years of design, build, or implementation of distributed services.
- Experience with managing and writing services on top of cloud environments such as Azure, AWS, or GCP.
- Collaboration to accomplish large projects with excellent communication and demonstrated initiative.
- Awareness of, and ability to reason about, modern software & systems architectures, including load-balancing, queueing, caching, distributed systems failure modes, and microservices.
- Advanced troubleshooting skills, including the ability to follow service dependency chains across arbitrary network steps.
- Experience running large scale cloud systems.
- Ability to analyze, understand, and solve complex problems by leveraging and extending existing technology.
- Willingness and ability to respectfully challenge the status quo.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.