|Job Type:||Full Time|
Do you see yourself as a coach, a collaborator, and a customer-focused engineer? Would you be excited to build technology that bolsters the resilience and reliability that we deliver to hundreds of millions of customers? Do you care deeply about fostering a great team? We are looking for an Engineering Manager for the Substrate Change Management team who embraces these roles and is excited by this technology.
The M365 Core Substrate team creates, maintains, and sustains the heart of Microsoft’s customer data platform which powers our internal partners’ cloud applications for millions of Microsoft consumer, education, and enterprise customers using Office applications, Teams, Windows, Bing, and Surface devices.
In the Substrate Change Management team we are building up a new multi-disciplinary team focused on using data-driven, customer-oriented approaches to identify and implement ways to improve when things go wrong. Our goal is to detect and mitigate issues before customers are impacted.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager who embraces the cultural values of inclusion and belonging and feels empowered to be the following:
Coach – Work with each person on your team to help them to do their best work and grow. You define and foster an identity for the team that includes a reputation for high quality, reliability, and inclusivity. Define the business goals for the team then create and execute on a plan to meet those goals.
Collaborator – Strive to understand the motivations and goals of the teams we’re working with and work towards a better-together collaborative solution. Influence partners to work on quality in a unified way across the organization.
Customer Focused Engineer – Care deeply about the end-user experiences we are building and the availability and reliability of the service that enables those experiences. Prioritize mitigation and restoring service for customers during outages over root cause understanding.
More About Microsoft 365 and Substrate
Microsoft 365 is the fastest growing cloud services business in Microsoft. M365 brings together cloud versions of our most trusted communications and collaboration products like Exchange, SharePoint, OneDrive and Skype with the desktop suite of Office products in an always up-to-date integrated service offering. Since its launch, the service has made it easier for millions of information workers across the world in small, medium, and large enterprises to use the best of Microsoft’s business productivity solutions via the cloud. The service now extends the same capability to consumer communication and collaboration products. You can read more in the Substrate Dev Center located here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/substrate.
- Build, lead, and support a team of engineers and data scientists and deliver high quality business objectives.
- Provide leadership to an integrated remote team in Suzhou: work with a peer EM to define joint goals execution plan. Visit at least once a year.
- Provide hands-on technical leadership: architecture, design, code reviews, development, quality assurance and live site.
- Partner with Program Management to meet immediate and longer-term business objectives.
- Hire and retain top talent.
- Foster a healthy and inclusive team environment.
- Be a mentor for the people on your team and help them grow.
- BS/BA in computer science, or equivalent in related technical experience. Individuals with a degree in a non-STEM field (or without a degree at all) who have retrained as a software engineer and demonstrated a commitment to lifelong learning are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Experience as an engineering manager, or a technical lead with a passion for coaching and mentoring others.
- 10+ years of experience building commercial grade software, with much of that experience in a large scale, high availability service.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.