|Location:||San Francisco, California|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Who We Are
Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About this role:
Samsara’s network of hardware devices is a scalable cloud-connected sensor platform that collects and stores observations about the world in near real-time. Through our cloud dashboard and mobile app, customers gain real-time visibility and drive efficiencies into their commercial fleet and industrial center operations.
At Samsara, we value aligning small teams with customer use cases and giving the independence needed to quickly deliver impactful solutions. Your team, the Core Camera Firmware Team, is a platform team that designs and develops code that operates on Samsara’s camera based products (such as our dashcams). Your team will take on challenges ranging from component selection, camera performance optimization, technology evaluation, BSP integration, board bringup, and sustaining products in the field.
The Camera & System Engineering team is focused on camera, AI and image features on our edge devices - most typically dash cameras. In particular this includes the following responsibilities:
- Implement and productize ADAS (Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems) and other AI computer vision models on our end devices
- Image quality; Image signal processing, image signal quality, AWB, ADR, AE, WEB
- Video processing; pipelining, compression, streaming, storage, etc.
- Audio processing; AI audio features, echo cancellation, etc.
- Image/video drivers
- Compute in DSP & GPU
- Thermal and/or power management
In this role, you will:
- Lead a team of engineers, technically and organizationally to deliver next generation camera products
- Provide technical leadership in a number of the technical areas listed above
- Partner with Electrical Engineering to drive next generation architecture and component selection
- Conduct regular 1-1s and giving performance evaluations
- Work with Product Management to develop our roadmap, build schedules and prioritize feature development
- Perform code reviews and ensuring proper design and delivery of major features
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement
- Identify infrastructure and architectural investment needs
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices
- Hire, develop, and lead an inclusive, engaged, and high performing team
An ideal candidate has:
- Has a successful background as a senior firmware engineer and launched successful camera based products
- Has experience with embedded camera systems, with image processing, quality and tuning, ISP integration, computer / thermal constraints
- Has experience with NVidia or Qualcomm vision platforms
- Understands the value of team culture, communication, and collaboration
- Experience developing individual contributors based on their needs and interests as well as the needs of the company
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all full-time global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
With the spread of COVID-19, Samsara's global offices will remain closed until further notice with the exception of employees that require access to hardware and lab equipment.
Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are also able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through June 2021, full list of locations here. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based and fully remote roles.
If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to contact us at email@example.com.