|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft Devices Software team is on a journey to create new experiences with Surface Duo. We believe in building devices that fully express the Microsoft vision. Fundamental to our strategy is having desirable and powerful devices that enable the experiences people want.
Creating these new experiences and devices involves close partnership between hardware engineers, software engineers and designers, along with the industry partners. Our obsession to enable everyone to be their best reflects in the devices we make. Come join us as we build an organization that scales with the challenges of creating new experiences.
The Surface development team is seeking talented software engineers with a background in shipping consumer devices.
Job responsibilities encompass working across a team of high-impact engineers designing and developing the platforms and tools supporting the development of our Android product line. Our partner teams develop both the firmware and OS-level components for our devices. You will work with a team of engineers to architect and build the systems that streamline how we ingest software and firmware components from external partners, architect how we scale those components, and optimize how we compose the OS images that get installed on our devices.
You will use the latest technologies and tools to get creative with a large codebase, constantly changing across firmware and OS components.
Successful candidates will have a solid understanding of Android OS, Linux, Git, and a passion for helping our device-engineering teams be their best. Successful candidates will have a passion for learning and adopting new technologies.
Our team uses the right tools for the job, whether it be open source tooling or custom tools to make our products better. We are developers that like to move fast but we take the time to do things right.
- Proven experience shipping high-volume consumer devices
- A minimum of 6 years of experience in software and/or product development
- Excellent design and coding skills with languages like C/C++/.NET/Java, and scripting languages like python/bash/PowerShell
- Excellent skills with source-control and branching concepts
- Strong communication skills
- BS in Engineering or equivalent experience
- Have a general understanding of one or more of the following areas: UEFI, filesystems, Android-device boot flow, audio, display, camera, sensors, telephony, power, battery.
- General knowledge of the Android Open Source Project (AOSP)
- Experience with new hardware bring-up
- Experience debugging boot issues with a debugger
- Experience with Microsoft Azure DevOps or similar
- General knowledge of embedded systems software development
- High tolerance of ambiguity and ability make progress in the face of it
- Ability to work across multiple time-zones on various disciplines and functions (PM, Test, Hardware Engineers, etc.)
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.