|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft is currently seeking an experienced, motivated, creative, and customer-focused design researcher to help impact the future of Azure Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) offerings. IaaS offerings are critical in supporting the needs of our users and are some of the most used in Azure. Our vision is to create professional, seamless, and friction-free experiences that enable our customers to work less and accomplish more. We strive to make powerful and complex Microsoft technologies for the Enterprise feel easy and delight our customers.
As a design researcher on our team, you will be responsible for collaborating closely with an interdisciplinary team of researchers, designers, and engineers to drive customer feedback and research findings into future iterations of the product. In this role you will be expected to employ a wide-range of research methodologies including moderated and unmoderated usability studies, interviews, surveys, scorecards, competitive benchmarks, clickstream analytics, A/B testing, ethnographic field research, participatory designs, user modeling, etc. You will also have an opportunity to innovate on new methods, and practices that contribute to the UX community within the Cloud and AI division and Microsoft. Ultimately, we’re looking for someone to help evolve the discipline while influencing multiple product teams to make impactful, data-driven decisions.
The ideal candidate will have some experience utilizing a wide range of existing research methods, as well as applying relevant knowledge of cognitive science, human factors, and interaction design to solve design problems and enhance user experiences. Great oral and written communication skills are essential as you will be working closely with Designers, Engineers, Program Managers, and other Researchers to garner support for research plans and ensure action is taken on results in a highly collaborative work environment. Ability to successfully work in an agile environment and a proven record of making business impact are also crucial.
- A minimum of a BA or MA/MS in Experimental Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction or a related field.
- At least 2 years of experience conducting experimental research on software products and driving tangible outcomes with product teams. Enterprise experience is a plus.
- Experience with a broad range of research methodology (usability studies, interviews, site visits, surveys, customer segmentation, card sorting, unmoderated studies, etc.).
- Knowledge of statistical analysis for social science skills - familiarity with parametric and non-parametric statistics as well as one or more software programs to facilitate analysis (Excel, SPSS, etc.)
- Track record of collaborating across multiple disciplines (design, engineering) to drive change into products.
- Proven ability to work within tight timelines and with excellent project management skills. Experience with Agile and Lean frameworks is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate rich customer data and articulate the implications of research findings in clear and compelling ways.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; experience presenting to executive-level audiences.
- A strong portfolio demonstrating excellent user research skills for solving complex problems with clear results is preferred.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check every two years.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.