|Job Type:||Full Time|
Participation in the Research Internship Program requires that you are physically located in the United States or Canada for the duration of the internship
Research Internships at Microsoft provide a dynamic environment for research careers with a network of world-class research labs led by globally-recognized scientists and engineers. Our researchers and engineers pursue innovation in a range of scientific and technical disciplines to help solve complex challenges in diverse fields, including computing, healthcare, economics, and the environment.
Human genome sequencing and the rise of big data from the single cell to the clinical/population level holds promise for a new era of precision healthcare. AI, bioinformatics, and data analytics can play a key role in this transformation.
Microsoft Healthcare is an interdisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, and medical doctors who endeavor to develop the computational tools needed for precision healthcare. Our team spans cutting edge research, enterprise software development, and real-world delivery.
We are looking for an innovative, collaborative, and motivated research intern to support our genomics research effort, where we develop computational tools to support biomedical research and clinical decision making.
#msfthealthcare #healthfutures #msftgenomics #ai #bioinformatics
Interns put inquiry and theory into practice. Alongside fellow doctoral candidates and some of the world’s best researchers, interns learn, collaborate, and network for life. Interns not only advance their own careers, but they also contribute to exciting research and development strides. During the 12-week internship, students are paired with mentors and expected to collaborate with other interns and researchers, present findings, and contribute to the vibrant life of the community. Research internships are available in all areas of research, and are offered year-round, though they typically begin in the summer.
The ideal candidate will collaborate with our team and have familiarity with:
- Learn about genomics and big biological data.
- Implement experiments to test the quality of machine learning algorithms.
- Develop biostatistical approaches to test hypotheses.
- Develop the R or Python binaries for various machine learning implementations.
- Develop informatics pipelines to summarize and present hybrid (genomic + clinical data OR image ) analysis.
- Maintain a clear record of research progress
In addition to the qualifications below, you’ll need to submit a minimum of two reference letters for this position. After you submit your application, a request for letters may be sent to your list of references on your behalf. Note that reference letters cannot be requested until after you have submitted your application, and furthermore, that they might not be automatically requested for all candidates. You may wish to alert your letter writers in advance, so they will be ready to submit your letter.
- Must be currently enrolled in a PhD program in Computer Science, Biological Sciences, Biostatistics or related field before the start of the internship.
- Must have at least 1 year of experience on machine/deep learning model development for biological data, such as genomics, other -omics data OR medical image data.
- Must be able to collaborate effectively with researchers and Software Engineers on Genomics team
- Experience working with heterogeneous datasets, including genomic data, other -omics data OR medical image data
- Experience with bioinformatic pipelines such as variant calling pipelines on Cromwell
- Experience with deep learning platforms PyTorch, Tensor Flow, CNTK
- Experience with R-Bioconductor package development process
- Experience with Jupyter notebooks/labs on cloud environment
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.