|Job Type:||Full Time|
Core Services Engineering builds and manages the critical products and services that Microsoft runs on. We boldly pursue big ideas that power transformational advances at Microsoft and for our customers, while helping Microsoft teams work smarter, faster and more securely every day. Core Services Engineering employees have deep technical and business expertise, customer insights, and a clear point of view that comes from first-hand, large-scale experience with Microsoft and industry solutions. We are engineers, technology leaders and experts, digital transformation change agents, and customer advocates.
We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more!
Microsoft has a long history of delivering products and services to sovereign governments. Recently, the types of products and services Microsoft sells to all customers, including governments, has grown in complexity, increasing the risk profile.
Critical to Microsoft Federal’s (MSF) success is the design, build, and run of its infrastructure. CSEO business teams depend on Enterprise 360 (E360) to enable the fabric to connect, host, and support enterprise services. Foundational to this environment is the physical network. E360 designs, builds, and operates a network across Microsoft facilities that meets Gov standards for security and scalability, while providing a consistent user experience. It includes our cloud networking designed solutions that leverage Azure software defined network solutions to create environments that have “corporate context” where necessary to ensure the safe operation of corporate resources in the Cloud. Ensuring a secure, reliable, and readily available environment for MSF IT admins, E360 builds and operates the infrastructure (network/compute/storage) hosting critical services and applications.
The ideal candidate is someone who have experience designing and deploying Wired & WiFi networks. Someone who is naturally curious and willing to learn and partner across multiple engineering pillars to bring great experiences to our customers and help Microsoft grow the business, and also work in autonomy when required.
- Design, build and operate a distributed, enterprise scale, high availability, Internet connected corporate Backbone and Wide Area Networks.
- Define, Validate and revise key engineering artifacts such as standards and deployment guides.
- Works to drive reliability goals and objectives across the E360 organization.
- Develop solutions to increase network service stability through automation, mature processes and problem management techniques.
- Monitor and analyze key network service performance metrics to meet service availability requirements.
- Responsible for evaluating and implementing automation and tooling solutions to ensure consistent processes and repetitive tasks are performed with a higher level of accuracy, reduced defects and
- Participate in on-call rotations for the WAN and Backbone service.
- Perform all incident support and remediation for the infrastructure.
- Champion security, compliance, reliability, and availability through participation in service health reviews and cross-team strategic/service alignment
- Travel - 0%-10%, domestic.
- Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- 4+ years of designing building, managing and supporting a large-scale Enterprise Grade network.
- 3+ years of designing building, managing and supporting a highly redundant, Internet Edge environments.
- Experience in working on-call 24X7 as part of a highly tuned and critical DRI rotation.
- BS/MS in Computer Science or Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent alternative skills and/or practical experience is required.
Preferred, not required:
- KPI driven, proactive and motivated for continuous improvement, adaptation, reflection, and growth.
- Strong cross-organizational collaboration and partnership skills, ability to drive efforts in autonomy and run-down issues to satisfactory resolution.
- Drive for owning and developing features end-to-end.
- Experience building services in Azure using Azure Automation, and hybrid cloud/on-prem services is a plus.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of TCP/IP, ISIS/OSPF and BGP routing protocols, dual stack IPv6 network environments, MPLS overlays and Layer 3 VPNs.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Firewalls, High availability Internet connectivity techniques and best practice, defense in-depth security practices and technologies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with customers. Experience in influencing without authority is a plus.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.