|Location:||Charlotte, North Carolina|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
We get it. Much of the country is on quarantine due to COVID. Kids in many parts of the country are at home remote-learning. It is hard for most of us to keep up with the demands of home and work, or with the isolation of going days at a time only seeing other people via video conference. And in this time of longer workdays and heightened stress, it is hard to imagine brushing-up your resume, applying for jobs, cramming for technical interviews, and potentially changing companies. We cannot promise it will be easy, but you are here now (looking at this job posting), so we encourage you to keep reading and have an open mind. There is a good chance you are exactly who we need on our team.
Are you a developer who is interested in a career at Microsoft? Are you open to working on systems that support financial decisions? Do you want to work on modern cloud technologies and help us evolve our systems and processes? Do you want to be an integral part of a team that owns its services end to end while demonstrating a growth mindset and continually raising the bar?
If your answers were “YES,” great! You are a prospective candidate for a software engineering team in the Corporate Functions Engineering (CFE) organization at Microsoft Charlotte!
As a software engineer, you will:
- gain an understanding over time of Microsoft businesses and processes and collaborate with stakeholders to contribute to a cohesive set of capabilities built to deliver a frictionless experience
- define estimates and roadmaps, contribute to strategy elements – assist your team from ideation to articulation to delivery
- design, implement, validate, and release components/services/systems using your software engineering skills in an Agile team
- work in a modern DevOps culture, administering your service in Azure, implementing infrastructure as code, automating manual operations processes, and supporting/ troubleshooting production live site incidents
- design and implement accurate and actionable monitoring to maintain business Service Level Agreements and system health
- mentor your team members, pair program, participate in code reviews, and delegate work to encourage professional and technical growth of those around you
- be constantly learning, evaluating both existing and emerging technologies, delivering POCs and evaluating needs for service modernization and enhancements
- collaborate with other teams and disciplines and drive improvements in engineering across our organization
This posting represents several open positions, so whether you just barely meet the required qualifications or far exceed them, we encourage you to apply and talk to a recruiter about your current career stage. We are searching for several levels of software developers with a wide range of experience, and Microsoft provides career growth opportunities and a rewarding and flexible work environment so you can better integrate professional and personal life.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related field, or equivalent alternative skills and practical work experience
- 7+ years of software engineering experience in any object-oriented language, building and shipping performant and scalable systems or services
- 3+ years of experience with distributed computing and databases
- Able to participate in an on-call schedule approximately one week every two months (varies by team)
- The successful candidate must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
- Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Preferred Qualifications: (nice to have for senior levels but not required)
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related discipline
- Knowledge of data-structures, algorithms, and object-oriented design patterns
- Experience developing distributed data processing pipelines
- Experience writing and debugging asynchronous and multi-threaded code
- Experience developing services that run on a public cloud platform
- Knowledge of front-end coding languages (any) and frameworks/systems (any)
We are hiring at several levels, so those with more experience are also encouraged to apply.
We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more!
About our Charlotte site:
Microsoft first opened our Charlotte Site in 1990 and employs approximately 1,600 people at our 22-acre campus in South Charlotte, just over the NC/SC boarder. Local job opportunities vary widely from internal IT, to technical support, consulting, technical sales, account management and software engineering roles. Many of our roles can be configured in a variety of flexible work arrangements including telework/ work from home, part-time, and job share, and Microsoft is consistently rated as a leading technology company and a great place to work.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.