|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft’s Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers our cloud services. As a CO+I Datacenter WAN Service Engineer, you will perform a key role in delivering the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's online services including Bing, Office 365, Xbox, OneDrive, and the Microsoft Azure platform.
Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our foundation is built upon and managed by a team of subject matter experts working to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
With environmental sustainability and optimization at the forefront of our datacenter design and operations, we continue to grow and evolve as we meet the ever-changing business demands that hold Microsoft as a world-class cloud provider.
Be at the forefront of the action in CO+Ias part of our global datacenter operations.
In this role, you will have an opportunity to shape our team’s best practices, working with our partners: Azure Networking, Microsoft Cloud Infrastructure, and Datacenter Field Operations teams.
As a WAN Service Engineer (WSE), you will contribute to building a world-class network infrastructure by working with networking hardware, Optical DWDM, and IP Networks spanning subsea, global, and metro fiber.
As a successful WAN Service Engineer your performance objectives include:
- Empower a culture of safety, security, and compliance in all aspect of datacenter activities
- Frontline project management for Outside Plant (OSP) optical fiber delivery by producing and maintaining schedules, Reporting, and other Project related tasks.
- Communicate with all peers and departments to insure proper project planning
- Maintain accurate cable records and updates
- Approving vendor designs, conducting site walks, permitting, and performing quality assurance inspections.
- Reading and understanding highway/road prints, be able to identify conflicts with existing outside plant facilities, and select routing required for work projects.
- Performing on site construction supervision and inspection to ensure design specifications are met by the construction contractor. Further duties will include but are not limited to: redlines, bore design, CAD, and make-ready analysis, field notes, pole survey, sonde conduit, locating, QC prints, butterfly drawings, and preparation of prints.
- Optical fiber test results analysis for Microsoft’s metro, regional fabric, and long-haul networks are delivered adhering to Microsoft Standards
- Learn, live, and coach the One Microsoft culture and values. Lead through change by bringing clarity, generating energy, and delivering success
- BS or BA degree in Engineering/IT/Telecommunications, or Science
- 8+ years of experience required in telecommunications construction management, operations engineering, or as OSPE
- 5+ years of project management skills
- 1+ years’ experience with AutoCAD and GIS solutions
- Willing to support a flexible, international travel schedule up to 20%
- Strong Project Management skills and critical thinking
- Solid grasp and experience with workflow management
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, including financial analytics.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
- Organizational and time-management skills
- Decision-making skills
- Experience with OSP construction, Telecom Architectural and Optical Transport
- Experience with Network/optical engineering or photonics
- Ability to read and understand High Level Network design documentation
- College or university degree in related discipline (Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, etc.)
- Certified Optical Network Associate (CONA)
- Certified Professional Data Center Associate or equivalent
Background Check Requirements:
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter
- Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.