|Job Type:||Full Time|
About the company and the team
In Mixed Reality, people—not devices—are at the center of everything we do. Our tech moves beyond screens and pixels, creating a new reality aimed at bringing us closer together—whether that’s scientists “meeting” on the surface of a virtual Mars or some yet undreamt-of possibility. To get there, we’re incorporating groundbreaking technologies, from the revolutionary Holographic Processing Unit to computer vision, machine learning, human-computer interaction, and more.
We’re a growing team of talented engineers, designers and artists putting technology on a human path across all Windows devices, including Microsoft HoloLens, the Internet of Things, phones, tablets, desktops, and Xbox. Our team has people from a wide variety of backgrounds, identities, previous work histories, life experiences, and we are eager to maintain and grow that diversity. Our varied backgrounds and unique experiences enable us to be better at building the best solutions for our customers and make for dynamic and joyful collaborations with colleagues!
If you are passionate about groundbreaking Mixed Reality technology and want to work on a team dedicated to a culture of inclusion, growth mindset and collaboration, we need you! #MixedReality
About the role
Microsoft’s Mixed Reality Commercial and Consumer team is looking for a customer-focused experience designer with the passion, curiosity, creativity, and empathy to define the spatial future of computing. You will work with our interdisciplinary team to transform customer insights into transformative experiences, and define the path ahead for Microsoft’s MR products, platform, and services.
We are looking for a Senior Experience Designer to join our team. The ideal candidate will be focused on bringing Consumer and Commercial product experiences to life and developing paradigms that unify Microsoft’s mixed reality software, hardware, and services.
In this role, you will combine the expertise of a technical designer with the human-centered of an experience designer. You will bring your unique perspective to our creative process as we seek new ways that technology can empower people and groups to transform the world. You’ll work alongside others in a highly collaborative, cross-disciplinary rapid prototyping environment where we test early, test often, and tirelessly push for the best. There is no bigger opportunity than defining the foundation of mixed reality computing, communication, and creativity.
As a Senior Experience Designer, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Conceptualize and develop innovative controls & patterns that work across 2D & 3D experiences
- Rapidly prototype concepts to demonstrate your design
- Create sample apps and documentation against the work you do
- Collaborate with cross-discipline peers to solve technical and creative problems
- Take ownership of user interface vision and work through completion; seek out and implement feedback to constantly improve and refine your design
- Demonstrate and communicate clear expectations for quality of work, productivity, communication, and professionalism with team
- Work with designers, producers, and developers to define and meet key milestones as well as create task lists and work estimates
- Be a positive and creative force in the team
- A storyteller that is proficient in writing, storyboarding and presenting your ideas to others showcasing the end-to-end user experience
- BA/BFA in 3D Design, Communication design, Interaction design or equivalent industry experience
- 7+ years of interaction or game design experience working with Unity, Unreal or equivalent tools to design user interfaces for games, interactive experiences, or apps
- Conceptualize and develop innovative controls & patterns that work across 0D, 2D, 3D experiences
- Design user interface systems or experiences that support multi-modal inputs
- Ensure your designs conform to responsive UI/UX methodologies
- Create rapid prototypes to demonstrate the functionality of your design
- Create sample apps and design documentation against the work you do
- Designed a game experience or user interface in a 3D, Virtual or Augmented Reality product that has shipped
- Experience in the following areas of User Experience design: Accessibility, Eye Tracking, Gesture and Voice
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.