|Job Type:||Full Time|
The Garage is an innovative program that gives university students the opportunity to work with industry leaders and their peers to build apps or features for the latest Microsoft platforms. Garage students work in small teams with modern engineering toolsets to build and ship their work. Each team is responsible for an app or feature, starting with product definition, working through design and development; and if successful, wrapping up with the public launch of the app or feature. Coaches and technical leaders from across Microsoft provide guidance and expertise.
- Invest in great talent: The Garage provides an opportunity for students to experience the breadth of Microsoft technologies and to practice engineering in a fast-paced environment.
- Build on Microsoft platforms: Microsoft’s strategic platform is constantly moving forward. Our teams build apps and cloud-powered services on Windows, Xbox One, HoloLens, Surface Hub and Azure with APIs from OneDrive, OneNote, Xbox Live, and others.
- Ship fast with quality: The Garage uses modern engineering infrastructure and an agile development model to ship apps and features in 12 weeks. Our apps and features ship to Microsoft’s app stores or are included in various products and have received accolades from press, partners, and customers alike.
As a team member in the Garage, you’ll bring a product to life by working with a small team with guidance and insight from a team of experienced technical coaches and mentors.
Program Managers (PMs) are the in-house advocates for millions of people worldwide who predict and research how software is used and work closely with Software Engineers (SWEs) to ensure our products exceed people's expectations.
You will work closely with your team and have end-to-end ownership for development and quality of a product (and associated services) that will delight customers and add strategic value for Microsoft. Working closely with a team of program manager and software engineers, you will evaluate requirements, estimate costs, create and implement features and services. You will define and implement the quality criteria for your app, using measurements and insights to understand and validate the quality of experience for customers. You will manage risks, leverage other products and technologies, and drive integration with the broader ecosystem.
Program Managers are typically responsible for specific features in our technology solutions for the full product cycle. You work on the initial feature planning and design, manage the specifications and timeline of their development, and monitor their on-going operation to better understand customer experiences. You work collaboratively with teammates to ensure our products exceed customer expectations. You communicate throughout the process to understand progress towards delivery, technical challenges, and to provide clarity on customer needs using a data driven approach. You will be expected to demonstrate an ability to learn and adopt relevant new technologies, tools, methods and processes to leverage in your solutions. As a Program Manager, you are dedicated to building software to empower every person and organization on the planet to achieve more.
- Currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science or related field with at least one semester/quarter remaining after internship.
- Available to start on May 24, 2021
- A year or two of experience programming in C++, Java or other computer programming languages preferred.
- Some experience building software beyond the classroom environment like an internship or related experience for customers strongly preferred.
- Ability to demonstrate understanding of computer science fundamentals that affect code implementation and customer experience.
- Demonstrated ability in feature definition, design and feasibility.
- Familiarity with managing complex project schedules and nurturing cross-group collaboration.
- Demonstrated ability in estimating development time and relevant challenges to delivery.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and a desire to create an open and collaborative team culture.
- Demonstrated skills in negotiation and conflict management.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.