|Job Type:||Full Time|
Senior Product Content Designer
Azure Compute | Microsoft Cloud + AI Studios
Passionate about simplifying technology? Same.
At Microsoft, we combine expertise, research, imagination, and instinct to build large-scale, inclusive products. Here, it’s no stretch to say that your brilliant content design can impact how people get work done the world over.
What are we looking for? Simple …
You’re a seriously seasoned, product content designer who loves deceptively simple software—the kinds of experiences that feel efficient, effortless, and rewarding because you’ve sweated every detail and distilled every concept down to its purest, simplest form. You know the power of great information hierarchy, clear terminology, and navigation—and can speak to how carefully crafted UX flows can transform the customer journey from confusing to intuitive. Informing and evolving that journey with insights from research and data is second nature to you.
And while you love simple, your skillset is anything but. You’re a content design expert—maybe you’ve led product content efforts, mentored UX or UI design teams, or built apps from scratch as part of a full-stack team. With a diverse skillset and loads of experience, you trust your methodology without a lot of second guessing or hand holding. You collaborate with all your partners with loads of optimism, a hunger for feedback, a retractable ego, and an open mind.
Dropdown or radio buttons? Body text or tooltip?
Your communications chops are interaction specific. If you’re thinking about words, you’re also envisioning the interface element that will make the best choice seem most obvious. You understand the concept of drilling down, reducing friction, and offering guidance right when—and only when—it’s needed. You know the value of using and contributing to UI toolkits, patterns, and style guides to keep teams aligned so all experience content stays consistent, cohesive, and intentional.
Wordsmith? Oh please—you’re a bedrock product content strategist
Sure, you know that clear communication starts with language–and you can articulate anything, no matter how complex. But we’re not about just adding language to a visual design— we’re on a mission, and you’re leading it! As a product content strategist, your questions and critical thinking help to clarify goals so the entire design team can build task flows and features that balance power and ease of use.
Yes, you know and love the cloud
This opportunity sits in the Cloud Design Studio for Microsoft Azure, where you’ll be part of an interdisciplinary team designing the next generation of edge computing, application and infrastructure monitoring, and media services. This team supports Azure Compute, where we help large enterprises use Azure however and wherever they need it: in the cloud, on the edge, all at huge scale. You’ll join a culture of teammates who believe in the power of inclusion, diversity of ideas and people, work/life balance, and the sheer joy of solving hard problems. We’re nurturing a collaborative culture where everyone can flourish, learn, and innovate—even through the most challenging times.
What to expect from this role
- You’ll learn, evangelize, and evolve our content design patterns and Microsoft’s brand voice. People will seek you out for answers on voice and tone, content style standards, term recommendations, common UI copy patterns, feature naming, and more.
- You’ll plan, craft, and refine content, UX, and language—testing, validating, and adapting for the next iteration. Some wins will be fast, and others may feel like they take forever to land.
- You’ll innovate—finding opportunities to elevate people’s perceptions of Microsoft through new products, features, or executions.
- Your growth and success will be passionately supported. You’ll know that your manager and your team deeply values your contribution and that full partnership and ongoing collaboration are the norm.
The company and the team
Microsoft's mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more through our technology and innovation.
- You may be collaborating across three or more regions, with different cultures and perspectives—something we think results in software that’s more inclusive and universal.
- Success here means questioning assumptions (or at least testing them!) and pushing beyond what’s familiar. You’ll explore, validate, test, iterate, and adapt.
- Some products and features ship fast and get fine-tuned over time, while others involve longer timeframes and multiple teams and decision makers. Regardless of cadence, you’re a constant collaborator whose design input is critical to the product’s success at every juncture.
- Our promise: We’ll support you and set you up for success—and regularly remind you how much we value your unique contributions to the success of products and collaborations.
All about you
- You have 7+ years of experience in content and UX design roles.
- Your excellence in product content design and strategy gets your apps noticed and appreciated. As a recognized expert, your approaches and solutions raise the bar for content design.
- Well beyond copywriting, you’re a product and content design expert with proven software experience—not just websites, integrated digital marketing, or technical documentation.
- You’re fluent in design and prototyping tools—Figma, Sketch, or similar—and interaction flows are a regular output of your solutions.
- You’re a mentor and a leader who believes sharing knowledge where appropriate strengthens all design roles, not just the ones within your discipline.
- You embrace research and data—it’s second nature to collaborate with Researchers and present customer-based, data-informed rationale for your ideas.
- You’re innately curious. About design, about the customer landscape—and about your surroundings. (Learning about Microsoft’s whole product portfolio strengthens domain knowledge, and can save you time, effort—and even earn you vital support from other teams.)
- Communication skills that extend to your relationships. You know building relationships both within and beyond your team is key for driving impact-oriented collaboration—and ultimately making a difference for customers.
- A growth mindset—there’s always more to learn. Confidence and humility can coexist. Own mistakes, and be willing to reconsider and explore ideas.
Senior Content Designers possess most or all of these skills:
- UX content design for business users as well as IT pros, devs, and admins
- Content strategy
- IA and navigation development
- Onboarding experiences
- Copywriting (UI content and familiarity with web, email, marketing)
- Landing established brand voice principles in content
- Applying (and contributing to) design systems and style guides
- Research and user testing support
- Defining the user journey for features and task flows
- Leveraging personas
Security screening required
The ability to meet Microsoft, customer, and/or government security screening requirements is required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to specialized security screenings such as the Microsoft Cloud Background Check. For this position, you’ll be required to pass the background check upon hire or transfer and every two years thereafter.
If this sounds like you, give that product-savvy skillset of yours the global reach it deserves! In your application, be sure to include a link to your LinkedIn profile and upload or include a link to your portfolio with of 3 of your most relevant UX product content design projects.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.