|Job Type:||Full Time|
The Garage is an innovative program that gives university students the opportunity to work with industry leaders and their peers to build apps for the latest Microsoft platforms. Garage students work in small teams with modern engineering toolsets to build and ship their work. Each team is responsible for an app or feature, starting with product definition, working through design and development; and if successful, wrapping up with the public launch of the app in the Store or feature included in our products. Coaches and technical leaders from across Microsoft provide guidance and expertise.
- Invest in great talent: The Garage provides an opportunity for students to experience the breadth of Microsoft technologies and to practice engineering in a fast-paced environment.
- Build on Microsoft platforms: Microsoft’s strategic platform is constantly moving forward. Our teams build apps and cloud-powered services on Windows, Xbox One, HoloLens, Surface Hub and Azure with APIs from OneDrive, OneNote, Xbox Live, and others.
- Ship fast with quality: The Garage uses modern engineering infrastructure and an agile development model to ship apps and features in 12 weeks. Our apps and features have received accolades from press, partners, and customers alike.
- As a team member in the Garage, you’ll bring a product to life by working with a small team with guidance and insight from a team of experienced technical coaches and mentors.
Software engineers (SWEs) collaborate with a committed team to design, develop and test the next generation of technology solutions for millions of people.
You will work closely with your team and have end-to-end ownership for development and quality of a product (and associated services) that will delight customers and add strategic value for Microsoft. Working closely as a team of program manager and software engineers, you will evaluate requirements, estimate costs, create and implement features and services. You will define and implement the quality criteria for your app, using measurements and insights to understand and validate the quality of experience for customers. You will manage risks, leverage other products and technologies, and drive integration with the broader ecosystem.
Software engineers (SWEs) work with teammates to solve problems and build innovative software solutions. You are passionate about customers and product quality, and you provide technical guidance to Program Managers as they consider user needs and product requirements. You will also be expected to demonstrate an ability to learn and adopt relevant new technologies, tools, methods and processes to leverage in your solutions.
As a SWE, you are dedicated to building software to empower every person and organization on the planet to achieve more.
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science or related field (pursuing with at least one semester/quarter remaining after internship).
- Available to start on May 24, 2021
- 1-2 years of experience programming in C++, Java or other computer programming languages preferred.
- 1-2 years of experience in C/C++/C#/VB.NET and experience designing and developing tool architecture preferred.
- Strong technical prowess, including understanding of algorithms, systems architecture and end-user experience.
- Some experience building software outside of the classroom environment like an internship, hackathon, research project or related experience preferred
- Expertise in feature definition, design and feasibility.
- Demonstrated skill in estimating development time.
- Ability to author test plans and cases, conduct security and stress tests and debug at source level after identifying, investigating and prioritizing bugs.
- Proactive work ethic, capable and creative problem solver who is not afraid of big challenges.
- Able to work closely with other team members in a collaborative productive multidisciplinary environment.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.