Our culture believes in POWERING YOUR POTENTIAL. We provide global opportunities to develop your career, make you community a better place and work with most innovative thinkers to solve world’s toughest problems.
We believe in flexibility for you to explore your passions while making an impact through meaningful work within our inclusive workforce. That’s what #LifeAtCummins is all about.
We are looking for a talented Structural Analysis Technical Specialistto join our team specializing in Cummins Emission Solutions for our Component Business Segment in Stoughton, WI.
Your impact will happen in these and other ways:
- This applied science position conducts numerical computations via third party and in-house tools to determine structural performance of components and systems.
- Obtains input and negotiates with Design, Thermal Sciences, Materials and Product Validation and delivers key structural performance parameters like motion, load, natural frequencies, stress, design margin, life, sound power, etc. to Design and Product Validation.
- Makes decisions in the area of structural design (materials and their processing as well as geometry) that impact structural performance (motion, load, natural frequencies, stress, design margin, life, sound power, etc.) of components and systems
- Applies and improves computer modeling processes that estimate motion, load, natural frequencies, stress, design margin, life, sound power, etc. and tools such as ANSYS, FE-Safe, GT-Suite, and AVL Excite required to support the processes and enable high quality decision making. Provides independent leadership of smaller business impact projects or ownership of complex components, products, systems or services with greater elements of ambiguity over the senior or lead engineer level and with full accountability to the project team.
- Delivers independent execution of established and emerging work processes and systems, while still developing technology or product knowledge. Leads the development and improvement of work processes and systems across a functional discipline area within a business unit site.
- Coordinates and directs work amongst technicians and temporary student employees, assists in the transfer of knowledge to lesser experienced engineers through either indirect (scope of influence) or direct management of a small, local group of engineers.
Education, Licenses, Certifications
University, or equivalent bachelor’s degree in Engineering or other relevant technical disciplines is required. Post-graduate (Master's) degree relevant to this discipline area may be required for select roles.
This position may require licensing for compliance with export controls or sanctions regulations.
Prior Senior or Lead Engineer equivalent work experience (4 plus years) in a relevant discipline area is required, with a demonstrated track record of technical problem solving and quality decision making.
Preferred candidates would have a mix of experience in the following areas:
MMS Office tools, Matlab, Python, APDL-ANSYS, FORTRAN or C programming
- Windows/Linux operating systems, and desktop/remote high-performance computing hardware systems. Linear dynamic analysis of weldments to predict high-cycle fatigue and contact stress under random vibration loading, including correlation of simulation results with team measurements to represent the vehicle interface
- Proficiency in mechanics of materials, numerical methods, deterministic & random vibration analysis, fatigue damage assessment, project management, and technical writing. Ability to coordinate structural analysts, CFD/heat transfer analysts, designers, development and test engineers in support of structural analysis tasks
- Ability to lead and participate in cross-functional product development, method development, and problem resolution teams. Ability to rapidly identify the aspects of component, system, or test design that most influence its vibration response and/or stress distribution
- Ability to communicate analysis method ideas, information/testing support needs, and project status clearly, concisely, and completely by telephone, in teleconferences, electronic mail messages, instant messages and reports
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify.
Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity and start your career with Cummins today.
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team: