We are looking for a talented Corporate Counsel, Emissions Compliance to join our Corporate Legal team located in Indianapolis, IN.
The Cummins Legal function provides a full range of legal services in support of Cummins Inc. and its consolidated businesses. Our United States staff is located in Columbus and Indianapolis, IN. We also have international legal offices located in the United Kingdom, India, Australia, Brazil, China, Mexico and Africa. Through these various offices, we are able to support our businesses throughout the world.
In this role, you will make an impact in the following ways:
- Responsible for handling a variety of complex legal matters or projects across a wide range of businesses, regions and/or functions.
- Recognized as a developing expert in an area of law, specialty, function or geographic region; negotiates legal matters within the individual’s realm of responsibility.
- Interpret relevant emissions, fuel economy, and product safety laws and regulations and actively advise Company engineers, technical staff, government relations/public policy staff, and management.
- Help develop and provide guidance on regulatory compliance processes.
- Work with leadership groups to develop policies, standards and objectives.
- Represent the Company in meetings with regulatory agencies including Environmental Protection Agency, California Air Resources Board, and other federal and state authorities in environmental and regulatory matters.
- Support responses to government investigations, rulemaking comments, and other submissions to government agencies.
- Support development of strategies to defend and resolve enforcement actions and related litigation.
- Assess compliance training needs in light of current policies, external developments and specific risk areas. Develop and deliver content to meet these needs.
- Understand the business environment and use analytical skills and experience to set compliance priorities and recommend options to minimize compliance risk.
- Work cross functionally; May be allocated responsibility to support in management of a relationship with a business unit, business segment, region, or function.
- Responsible for project and matter management with limited supervision; exercises independent judgment.
- Shares in management of outside counsel relationships.
- Acts as trusted advisor for mid to high level management; has strong grasp of business environment; effectively partners with clients to identify and design needed improvements; provides legal as well as practical advice within the appropriate business context; understands and manages client expectations.
- Assists in development of legal strategies for business.
- May influence or contribute to overall objectives and goals of organization.
- Provides support and leadership in legal function projects.
- May supervise and/or mentor one or more junior lawyers, paralegals or administrative assistants.
- Demonstrates specialization proficiency in one or more areas of law, specialty or function; acts as a resource to others.
- May lead projects for the legal function