We are looking for a talented Corporate Counsel to join our team specializing in Corporate Transactions and Contracts for Cummins Legal in your remote home office within the U.S. or at one of our U.S. locations.
This opportunity offers a variety of complex legal matters or projects across a wide range of businesses, regions and/or functions and carries a wide range of in-house legal responsibilities. This role conducts corporate transactions on behalf of Cummins Inc., draft and review commercial contracts for business units and segments, engage in general business counseling with the business leaders and provide strategic legal advice and support to certain of Cummins’ business units.
The Cummins Legal function provides a full range of legal services in support of Cummins Inc. and its consolidated businesses. Our United States staff is located in Columbus and Indianapolis, IN. We also have international legal offices located in Australia, Brazil, China, India, Mexico, South Africa, and the United Kingdom, among other countries. Through these various offices, we are able to support our businesses throughout the world.
This is a challenging and exciting environment where you will be expected to manage a significant volume of work, deliver to tight timescales, partner with people from diverse backgrounds and handle legal issues arising from anywhere in the world.
In this role, you will make an impact in the following ways:
- Project and matter management with limited supervision showing consistently sound, independent judgment
- Share in management of outside counsel relationships
- Act as trusted advisor for mid- to high-level management; show strong grasp of business environment and the industry; effectively partner with internal stakeholders to identify and design needed improvements; provide legal as well as practical advice within the appropriate business context; understand and manage stakeholder expectations
- Assist in development of legal strategies for business.
- Influence or contribute to overall objectives and goals of organization
- Provide support and leadership in legal department projects.
- May supervise and/or mentor one or more paralegals or associate counsel
- Demonstrate specialization proficiency in one or more areas of law, specialty, function or geographic region; act as a resource to others; negotiate legal matters within the individual’s realm of proficiency.
- Negotiate and draft joint venture agreements, letters of intent, memoranda of understanding and sale and purchase agreements for M&A transactions (and associated ancillary documentation);
- Negotiate and draft purchase and supply agreements, support agreements, nondisclosure agreements, long term sales agreements and other commercial contracts;
- Assign and manage work performed by outside counsel in a cost-effective manner;
- Develop processes and procedures to improve legal support for the business units; and
- General business counseling