|Job Type:||Full Time|
Senior Engineering Program Manager
Core Services Engineering builds and manages the critical products and services that Microsoft runs on. We boldly pursue big ideas that power transformational advances at Microsoft and for our customers, while helping Microsoft teams work smarter, faster and more securely every day. Core Services Engineering employees have deep technical and business expertise, customer insights, and a clear point of view that comes from first-hand, large-scale experience with Microsoft and industry solutions. We are engineers, technology leaders and experts, digital transformation change agents, and customer advocates. We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more!
Do you have a passion for security and get excited about solving some of the largest and most complex security challenges Microsoft faces in the enterprise today, including in cloud and mobile technologies? Do you have a high degree of curiosity about the intersection of human behavior and security risk within the walls of an organization? If the answer is yes, you may be a candidate for joining the Insider Threat team inside the Digital Security Risk and Engineering (DSRE) Organization.
The DSRE Insider Threat team has responsibility for operating the Insider Threat Program (InTP) across the enterprise on an international and domestic basis. The team is made up of highly skilled engineers, data scientists, security subject matter experts, and program managers. The program develops prioritized and risk-based scenarios, drives the acquisition of new sources of data, and develops and administers a series of detection models that identify high risk behavior. The team also identifies and develops preventative controls that are aligned to those top scenarios. Additionally, the team interacts with industry experts and maintains close ties with other Insider Threat programs across industries to compare and implement leading best practices.
- Proactively drive select InTP initiatives from a PM perspective to execute against the program’s mission to reduce Insider Threat risks in the following key areas:
- Creatively “own” multiple detections and controls initiatives - to include design, data acquisition, requirements development, test, deployment, and operations from start to finish that aim to reduce insider risk within the corporation as a whole and in key Microsoft US Federal environments.
- Assist engineers and other PMs by driving the acquisition of new sources of data and by administering a series of detection models that identify high risk activity and behavior.
- Represent the Insider Threat program in a wide variety of settings and with all levels of staff, Including senior executives, security subject matter experts, engineering, and compliance teams.
- Contribute to the Insider Threat Program’s Rhythm of the Business activities including the strategic program roadmap, engineering based detections planning, risk scenario development, operational process development, reporting and metrics, and efforts to evangelize the program to a wide array of audiences.
- BS/BA in Computer Science, Business, information security, or a related field or related work experience.
- 4+ years of experience in IT, Security, or a Product Team as a Program Manager.
- 4+ years of experience with PM Methodologies (PMI, Agile, PMBOK, SDL, etc.).
- Ability to drive large scale projects with high collaboration and leadership (including the ability to lead through influence, rather than by authority).
The successful candidate must be a U.S. Citizen.
Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
- Excellent written and oral communications.
- Excellent judgment, decision making skills, and the ability to work against aggressive timelines.
- Excellent presentation skills and experience of presenting to senior management.
- Experience designing, deploying, and operating engineering systems in regulated US Government or defense industry environments.
- Experience designing, developing, or deploying security detections or behavioral analytics (UEBA); operationalizing insider threat detections activities, especially in complex technical and business organizations.
- Deep understanding of technical, legal and HR issues as they relate to monitoring user behavior in a corporate and government environment, including international corporate environments.
- Strong working knowledge of information security and risk management processes and controls including security operations, security architecture, security assessments, security engineering, risk management, and compliance.
- Extremely strong judgment and interpersonal skills. Strong collaboration is vital for this role. This role must be a driving force for positive engagement, even when dealing with conflicts. This means we help other teams be successful as well as ourselves.
- Quick study - We are on the cutting edge and are thought leaders in the Insider Threat space across industries and regions. The candidate needs to be a fast learner who can adapt to change proactively and take the initiative to work independently as needed.
- Ability to see the “big picture” and inject long-term strategy into new engineering initiatives.
- Experience negotiating highly matrixed organizations and driving successful results with teams that at times can have conflicting goals.
- Outstanding written, verbal, negotiation, and presentation skills, especially for high level/executive audiences.
The successful candidate for this role is a very organized and detail-driven Program Manager who understands the concepts of high-risk workplace behavior, technical security detections development, and investigations processes. Versatility is absolutely required, since the candidate will work across internal teams and product groups across the enterprise and help drive the execution of the select initiatives to reduce the impact of high-risk insider activity across the enterprise. The candidate will need to drive the development and deployment of engineering solutions and the execution of the program’s roadmap. This role will have a lot of exposure to senior roles inside the company and requires a very high level of organizational agility, executive engagement, leadership without authority, and the ability to deal with ambiguity as well as a good degree of EQ and empathy. Additionally, the subject matter that this team deals with requires the highest degree of confidentiality, so good judgment and discretion is required. Finally, the successful candidate needs to be a self starter with the ability to work independently and take initiative in order to complete initiatives and drive business impact.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.