|Job Type:||Full Time|
Are you passionate about leading and developing a world class design and data team? The Office Media Group is looking for a Principal Design & Data Director to lead a talented group of design researchers, data scientists, designers as they work on exciting new products like Microsoft Stream as well as other areas of media across Microsoft 365.
The use of video, photos, and audio is changing the way that professionals present their work, teach skills, communicate, and connect with their colleagues. In the Microsoft Office Media Group, we are at the forefront of this transformation. Come join us as we democratize the use of media, by creating experiences for our customers that carry them from the moment of media capture through media sharing and beyond. We strive to create truly useful and elegant products that will empower millions of people around the globe to achieve more. #OMG
In this role you will:
- Lead a team of managers of managers as well as individual contributors in the disciplines of Design and Data Science
- Work to deeply understand our customers, their needs and their pain points and translate those into a concepts and designs.
- Work with a diverse and creative team to define and communicate a vision for media within Microsoft 365.
- Closely collaborate with leaders in PM and Engineering to build world-class software – from the earliest research and concepts to release and beyond
- Build and support a culture of data curiosity within OMG. Working with other data teams and customer researchers to deeply understand the numbers and what they mean for our products
- Work with partner teams across the company to deliver coordinated value and coherent designs that impact at a Microsoft scale
- Partner with the wider Office Design Team (XC) to deeply understand and contribute to the Fluent UI design language
- Build a culture of design that is collaborative, curious and eager to deliver meaningful customer value
- Develop design and data talent and grow the team into a high-performing design organization
- Work to establish clear goals and deliverables for the design team and manage expectations across other disciplines
- Work to ensure that designers and data scientists have the necessary tools and pipelines to help them be successful
This is a highly visible position on a high profile, high growth service. You will be the directly responsible individual for design and data excellence, reporting to the CVP. You will develop strategic and creative thinking with peers from across Microsoft and lead the design to great customer outcomes. You will occasionally need to present design thinking and vision to CVPs, EVPs or the CEO.
- A minimum of a Bachelors degree in Product Design, HCI, UI/UX Design, Software Design, Architecture, Communication Design, Interaction Design, or a related field, or equivalent alternative education, skills, and/or practical experience is required.
- 8+ years as a design manager or creative leader
- 8+ years as a leader shipping and deploying products to customers in real world environments
- Eye and passion for product quality, craftsmanship, and attention to detail
- Innate curiosity, data driven, and ability to self-start in an ambiguous and rapidly changing startup-like environment, growth mindset
- Ability to quickly produce elegant and easily understood designs and other related artifacts with a strong interaction point-of-view
- Experience shipping innovative and complex mobile, web or software products while meeting and exceeding milestones
- Good problem-solving skills and ability to think strategically and agilely
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively across diverse functions (Engineering, Research, Program Management, Data & Marketing)
- Great written and verbal communication/presentation skills
- Experience in the HR, Finance, Enterprise Services or Legal domain is a plus
- A portfolio demonstrating breadth and creativity and proven experience in telling stories, building UI models, generating detailed wire frames, developing prototypes and delivering comprehensive specifications. Please indicate your specific roles and contributions for each project submitted as part of the portfolio
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.