|Job Type:||Full Time|
Are you passionate about developing innovative technologies and building cool devices? Microsoft Devices Team focuses on building devices that fully embody the Microsoft mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. A fundamental part of our strategy is to build desirable devices that enable seamless experiences for people using them and elicit their joy and excitement. Creating these devices involves a close partnership between hardware engineers, product designers, software engineers, suppliers and manufacturing partners. We are currently building the next generation of devices and Microsoft needs you!
Devices Reliability team at Microsoft is looking for a creative, talented and experienced engineer with a strong background and expertise in Mechanical, Reliability, Materials or related engineering fields. The candidate’s primary responsibility will be the development and implementation of methodologies and techniques to evaluate and enhance component or product reliability. This role may require the candidate to engage on multiple products and with multiple cross-functional teams. A strong skill-set covering engineering analysis, problem solving, communication and external partner management is required.
- Develop and execute reliability qualification plans based on product lifecycle requirements while interfacing with design and manufacturing partners and external suppliers
- Develop, with other functional disciplines, customer usage models and translate understanding of the customer into practical reliability test specifications
- Standardize methodologies and processes for increased effectiveness of qualification plans and sample sizes used
- Participate in component vendor selection activity and drive component qualification activity for components that are critical to Microsoft product requirements
- Use knowledge of manufacturing process capability as well as system-level performance requirements to establish
- Critical-to-Reliability performance metrics
- Monitor product performance in the field, understand customer-facing product issues and drive failure analysis and corrective action with the appropriate partner engineering teams
- Three or more years of Engineering experience
Understanding of principles of Mechanics of Materials including complex material models and fatigue behaviors, thermomechanical and vibration problems in consumer electronics
Familiarity with application of simulation tools like Finite Element Analysis, etc. to evaluate product performance (mechanical, electrical and thermal)
Good understanding of fundamental properties and characteristics of materials used in cutting-edge consumer electronics products
Understanding of Design for Reliability principles and Physics-of-Failure concepts to develop and implement accelerated tests to identify and mitigate risks and qualify engineering designs during product development.
Ability to use knowledge of product design and manufacturing processes to conduct Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctoral degree in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Aeronautical Engineering, Structural Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or any other related field
Capabability of applying Design-of-Experiments concepts to identify Critical-to-Quality parameters and develop robust evaluation plans based on them is a plus
Knowledge of acceleration models for common failure mechanisms and stress types is a plus
Knowledge of statistical techniques to analyze test data and create estimates for field failure rates is a plus
Experience with balancing the significance of time to market, risk mitigation plans and return on investment while creating and executing reliability plans during product development is a plus
Experience with completing measurement method analysis, gage correlation studies (GRR) and other data fidelity studies is a plus
Experience in completing data trend and variation analysis and creating engineering reports is a plus
Experience in summarizing the test data and perform data analysis in accordance with product design requirements.
Preparing test reports and communicating results and findings to Reliability engineer to facilitate root cause analysis and resolution when failure occurs is a plus
Ability to develop reliability stress hardware specifications and procedures, writing test programs for reliability testing and characterization, and assisting in selection of new reliability lab equipment is a plus
Ability to set-up test equipment for functional tests for subsystems (like PCBA, Battery, Display) and system levels, including product cabling, instrumented thermal and mechanical characterizations such as thermal couples, accelerometers, strain gages, power supplies, and data acquisition systems is a plus
- Experience in design and execution of accelerated life tests to evaluate product reliability is a plus
- Experience in managing multiple design qualification activities and development schedule is a plus
- Experience in proven experience in working with external design and manufacturing partner is a plus
- Experience in reliability and life estimation of electronics products is a plus
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.