|Job Type:||Full Time|
Core Services Engineering builds and manages the critical products and services that Microsoft runs on. We boldly pursue big ideas that power transformational advances at Microsoft and for our customers, while helping Microsoft teams work smarter, faster and more securely every day. Core Services Engineering employees have deep technical and business expertise, customer insights, and a clear point of view that comes from first-hand, large-scale experience with Microsoft and industry solutions. We are engineers, technology leaders and experts, digital transformation change agents, and customer advocates.
We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more!
Microsoft has a long history of delivering products and services to sovereign governments. Recently, the types of products and services Microsoft sells to all customers, including governments, has grown in complexity, increasing the risk profile.
Critical to Microsoft Federal’s (MSF) success is the design, build, and run of its infrastructure. CSEO business teams depend on Enterprise 360 (E360) to enable the fabric to connect, host, and support enterprise services. Foundational to this environment is the physical network. E360 designs, builds, and operates a network across Microsoft facilities that meets Gov standards for security and scalability, while providing a consistent user experience. It includes our cloud networking designed solutions that leverage Azure software defined network solutions to create environments that have “corporate context” where necessary to ensure the safe operation of corporate resources in the Cloud. Ensuring a secure, reliable, and readily available environment for MSF IT admins, E360 builds and operates the infrastructure (network/compute/storage) hosting critical services and applications.
The ideal candidate is someone who have experience designing, deploying and supporting Wired & WiFi networks. Someone who has guided customers in how to drive improvements in their design practices and drove these to production. A lead engineer, someone who is naturally curious and works well with ambiguity and can and partner across multiple engineering pillars to bring great experiences to our customers and help Microsoft grow the business. Be comfortable being out front and leading, and work in autonomy as required.
- Partner closely with the E360 architecture and design teams to develop Wired and WiFi network designs, which are highly redundant, secure and supportable, that meet the needs of the MSF business
- Scope, design and deploy Wired & WiFi network solutions that scale to meet the MSF business
- Lead validation and revision of key engineering artifacts such as standards and deployment guides
- Define and execute on capacity planning, optimization, service health via monitoring within assigned service areas – Wired & WiFi
- Define and track key performance metrics to meet service availability requirements
- Monitor and troubleshoot network incidents for the network supporting the MSF business
- Perform Directly Responsible Individual (DRI) duties for all network components (Wired\WLAN\WAN) supporting the MSF business. Weekly on-call DRI rotation with team members providing incident support as needed, 24x7
- Champion security, compliance, reliability, and availability through participation in service health reviews and cross-team strategic/service alignment
- Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- 5+ years of experience in Network Design Engineering & Support with demonstrated ability for end-to-end service compliance, quality, and customer satisfaction
- Experience in designing and deploying enterprise-class WiFi networks, with consideration to RF characteristics, principles and challenges
- Experience working with and on Cisco’s Enterprise Platforms, particularly Catalyst 9K switches, and Aruba WLC & WAP’s, Airwave and ClearPass policy mgmt engine
- Experience working directly with L1 standards (power, HVAC, fiber infra), including HA environments
- BS/MS in Computer Science or Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent alternative skills and/or practical experience
Preferred, not required:
- Experience in working on-call 24X7 as part of a highly tuned and critical DRI rotation
- Experience working with Cisco’s Enterprise Routing Platforms, particularly ASR series routers
- Experience configuring and troubleshooting routing protocols, particularly IS-IS, OSPF & BGP
- Working experiencing commissioning WAN\L2VPN\MPLS circuits
- Experience building services in Azure using Azure Automation, hybrid cloud/on-prem services
- Experience with Third Party Technologies: SevOne, Ansible, SolarWinds, Splunk, ERPM (JIT, Password Vault), Cert Management (HGS/HSM), Linux/Unix
- Experience owning and developing features end-to-end. KPI driven, proactive and motivated for continuous improvement, adaptation, reflection, and growth
- Strong cross-organizational collaboration and partnership skills, ability to drive efforts in autonomy and run-down issues to satisfactory resolution
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate with senior managers and customers. Strong experience in influencing without authority
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.