|Location:||Charlotte, North Carolina, Irving, Texas|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
In Customer Service and Support, we are focused on how we can Empower, Help, and Advise Microsoft customers. We engage in solving complex problems for customers, we collaborate and knowledge share with each other, and we innovate on solutions to enable our customers to make the most of Microsoft products.
Our organization is geographically distributed, we speak many languages and we come from a variety of cultural backgrounds. We are rapidly expanding, and we are looking for talented people with a passion for solving complex issues and an obsession for customer happiness.
Our culture is built around attributes that drive our every decision and our every action:
- Customer Obsession - we exist for and because of the customer. We need people who share that passion and drive to make our customers experiences easy, insightful and trusted.
- Growth Mindset - we value all perspectives and reward individuals that poke at the edges of what they know to be true. We are seeking people that think differently and are biased toward action to accomplish great things.
- Diverse & Inclusive - we enable people who bring a contemporary view to shape our internal teams and encourage all to feel included.
- One Microsoft - we collaborate and value the work of others, combining their learnings with our own to make a better outcome for our customers.
- Making a difference - we drive impact by looking for ways to continually improve our day to day responsibilities and the connections between our work and others.
Escalation Engineers (EE) investigate and solve critical, complex, technical issues that are typically identified by colleague's customer engagements. Although some situations demand code analysis for advanced troubleshooting, much of the work performed by an EE will start as suspected bugs or unexpected behavior or behaviors that cannot be isolated. The EE frequently collaborates with Support and Product Group Engineers and, if a code defect is discovered, is responsible for driving the Product Group bug process. EEs regularly solve issues that are not only technically complex, but politically charged, requiring strong conflict resolution and communication skills to represent Microsoft to all stakeholders. The strengths of an EE are employing problem isolation techniques, product internals, and code knowledge to solve new problems.
In this role you will become world best in your area of expertise. Besides technical talent, we are looking for people who thrive under challenging circumstances and engage in difficult situations while they learn.
As an Escalation Engineer, you will have the opportunity to leverage source code and debugging skills to solve technically complex problems while working with our most strategic enterprise customers. You will be a technical leader and will have many opportunities to assist in the growth of other engineers through one-on-one mentoring, one-to-many education scenarios and problem solving collaboration. We’ll provide you with abundant resources, including the product source code, a rich content library and advanced diagnostic tools. As a member of this organization, you will benefit from access to a comprehensive collection of experts as well as the opportunity to work directly with the Program Managers and Developers who design and build Windows.
Windows System Administration/Configuration, including a good basic understanding of:
- File Storage
- User Accounts & Access Control
- Event Logs & Auditing
- Performance/Resource Monitor
- Networking (TCP/IP)
- BS in computer science or engineering or equivalent industry experience
- A minimum of two years product support or software development experience
- Ability to read and analyze C/C++
- Experience with post-mortem debugging using the Microsoft Windows Debugging Tools (WinDbg) or similar debugger tools
- Working knowledge of Windows Internals and Architecture
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills, an ability to use various data collection tools and methodologies to analyze problems, determine root cause and develop solutions
- Passion for technology, problem solving, and customer supportability
- Ability to understand the customers best interests in terms of problem impact
- Ability and motivation to learn behaviors of unfamiliar operating system components/technologies as needed
- Ability to discovery, recognize and assess alternate solutions to a problem
- Leadership - handle technically challenging and politically hot customer situations
- Strong communications skills - excellent spoken and written English communication skills and the ability to present complex technical issues clearly and concisely to a general audience
- Ability to drive discussions remotely with authority
- Ability to develop and nurture relationships over long distances and remote technologies like Skype
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Logical and critical thinking
- Ability to deal with ambiguity
Please note that working hours might change according to business needs. Though schedule changes are not frequent, you will need to have flexibility to accommodate changes as needed. Participation in an on call rotation will be required.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and / or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire / transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.