|Job Type:||Full Time|
Come join the Cognitive Search team in the Azure Data division as we build an AI-powered Knowledge Mining platform.
As the volume of content produced worldwide skyrockets, we need the ability to understand the meaning and relationships locked away inside by using advanced Knowledge Mining techniques. Our work tackles this exciting problem in machine learning: deriving knowledge from unstructured data. Microsoft is at the forefront of the industry working to allow any developer to seamlessly integrate advanced AI content understanding into any application and service. On this team, you’ll work with world-class Software Engineers and AI developers building Azure Cognitive Search. Azure Cognitive Search is an Azure service that uses AI to turn any content (documents, images, video, etc.) into structured data and relationships that power Search, Analytics, and Graph workloads.
As a team, we have a track record of building successful services infused with AI-based Azure services used by tens of thousands of customers across the world. We are proud of what we build and how we build it. We run lean, obsess about customers, and use an evidence-based approach to decision making. Every single week we have many conversations with customers to keep our product grounded in customer value and scenarios. We ship new bits continuously, so your work will impact customers in a few days, not months or years. We also have a strong service culture and run a great live site. Finally, we contribute open-source code to GitHub in the form of samples, solution accelerators, and power skills (our collection of custom machine learning skills that can be added to a Cognitive Search pipeline).
Our team consists of people from a wide variety of backgrounds, with different professional and life experiences. We maintain and grow that diversity which makes us better at building the best solutions for our customers, while having a blast doing it! Core to our team culture is the belief that you must have a ‘people-first’ approach to sustainably building and running 24x7 cloud services. This means we support each other to build things the right way, only work sane hours, enjoy our vacation time, and take advantage of our paid parental leave!
We’re looking for a Software Engineer who is passionate about building services that drive the next generation of AI-powered cloud services. Core to the role is backend service development for high scale and highly available AI-processing services. Additionally, you'll be responsible for helping define new ways to perform knowledge extraction and knowledge representation from any type of content. This role requires a mix of strong development ability as well as a passion for AI and solving cloud-scale problems.
If you are an experienced Software Engineer with a track record of delivering solid engineering work in this space and have a passion for learning, this is a great opportunity for you to take the next step in your career and be a part of the Azure Platform.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering or Mathematics or Physics or IT technical discipline or in place of 6+ years of internship or 6+ years of industry engineering experience
- 6+ years of programming experience in C# OR Java OR C++ OR C OR object-oriented programming
- Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance, and reliability
- Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- 6+ years of Software Development experience with at least two years of experience developing cloud services
- Experience building and shipping production grade software or services.
- Great curiosity and willingness to question.
- Have a deep desire to work collaboratively, solve problems with groups, find win/win solutions and celebrate successes.
- Strong design and coding skills with the ability to pick up new languages, tools, and design patterns as needed
- Ability to work effectively both autonomously and in teams
- Customer focus: comfortable communicating with customers in meetings and through blogs, Twitter, StackOverflow, etc. Seek out and respond to feedback through various mediums.
- Experience with AI and machine learning is a plus
- Experience with Apache Tika is a plus
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.