|Location:||Minneapolis, Minnesota, Redmond, Washington|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Wake up every morning and KNOW you are making a difference. Flipgrid’s mission is to empower everyone on the planet to share their voice and respect the diverse voices of others.
The Flipgrid team has focused on student voices with our short-form video application and a rapidly growing, passionate community of educators that empowers over 100 million educators, learners, families, and organizations across 180 countries. Check out #FlipgridForAll on Twitter!
We are looking for creative problem solvers and diverse thinkers—people who care about adding to our team culture and engaging the community we serve. We believe that why we do things is as important as what we do. You should be purposeful, quality-driven, curious, determined, collaborative and fun.
As a Principal Architect, you will be responsible for leading a team of engineers and managers who are an integral part of our tight-knit group of dedicated problem solvers. The ideal candidate should be able to quickly make an impact on the Platform team and work with the larger Flipgrid organization to deliver innovative and meaningful learning experience to millions of students and educators.
- Lead, coach, and grow a team focused on developing scalable environments.
- Deliver long-term architectural solutions for an applicationat scale leveraging public clouds.
- Coordinate and lead the migration of a large-scale app from AWS to Azure.
- Serve multiple roles from planning, design, and development.
- Ability to work with cross-org stakeholders to plan and deliver critical services.
- Support organization-wide engineering efforts by planning and delivering tools and services to support the Flipgridapplications.
- Willingness to work on the entire stack from back to front.
- Contribute to the development lifecycle in all phases—from initial ideation, to implementation, and testing.
- Build and empower a diverse team of problem solvers.
- A strong commitment to mentorship and making your fellow engineers better.
- Extensive experience guiding engineering teams in architecting large-scale, high-throughput environments.
- 15+ years of experience delivering highly-scalable and resilient services.
- 8+ years of experience designing secure and scalable services on Azure.
- 10+ years of AWS, GCS or similar cloud services experience (optional).
- In-depth experience delivering geo-distributed architectural solutions.
- Strong ability to orchestrate, maintain, and deploy services using infrastructure as code and containerized deployments.
- Solid working knowledge of Docker and Kubernetes in a production environment.
- Experience building and working in a Continuous Delivery environment.
- Strong working knowledge of media processing pipelines(audio and video encoders, codecs and transcoding).
- Excellent working knowledge of streaming strategies and protocols such as HLS and DASH.
Bonus credit for:
- Full-stack development experience across multiple platforms.
- Able to write clean and maintainable code that is efficient and reusable.
- Follow best practices (continuous integration, TDD, code standards).
- Strong ability to collaborate with front-end clients/consumers.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.