About the role
The successful candidate will primarily support the screening and assay development capabilities of the Custom Solutions Team, using their scientific and technical skills to deliver tailor-made rabbit monoclonal antibody projects on time and to high standards for external customers. Additional support of other areas including cell culture and molecular biology is expected, when required.
Abcam Branford Custom Solutions team is part of a global section that offers customers (including leaders from the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry) tailor-made, high-performance antibody discovery projects to deliver solutions for their research, diagnostic and therapeutic programs. We utilize a number of approaches, including RabMAb® technology, our patented antibody technology, B cell cloning, Next Generation Sequencing and antibody engineering for the development of high-quality monoclonal antibodies.
Roles & Responsibilities
The person appointed to this role will;
- Design assay cascades to identify antibodies that meet target specifications, in line with customer project aims
- Support all aspects of assay development and screening for bespoke monoclonal antibody projects
- Carry out and troubleshoot a variety of binding and competition assays, using techniques such as BLI (Octet), reporter lines, FRET based assays and ELISA
- Test Ab in various application tests such as Western Blot and Flow Cytometry
- Use liquid handling automation to support high throughput screening
- Contribute to and support process improvements
- Support Data Management by analyzing data and recording within laboratory notebooks in a timely manner
- Prepare reports and recommendations to be shared with customers
- Assist other areas of Custom Solutions, including cell culture and molecular biology, when required
- Abide by Laboratory SOPs and work within Abcam H & S, Ethical and Quality standards
- PhD in biological sciences (or equivalent)
- Experience with antibody screening and characterization assays including ELISA, HTRF, flow cytometry
- Experience in high throughput screening strategies, assay design and development
- Ability of follow and write standard operating procedures
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills
- PhD with a minimum of 3 years of related experience in assay development, immunology, high-throughput biology, antibody engineering or monoclonal antibody development
- Track record of contributing to successful outcomes on projects in academia and/or the Biotech/Pharma industry
- Skilled in the use of high throughput screening strategies, assay cascade design and assay development, with demonstrated use for lead identification of hybridomas or recombinant Ab, an advantage
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of technical principles, literature and methods
- Experience of applying data analytic theories such as four parameter curve fitting and EC / IC50 is required.
- Experience / knowledge of antibody therapeutic and/or diagnostic life cycle is highly beneficial
- Must possess and demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills
The ideal candidate will be a team player, hardworking, have excellent organizational capabilities and deliver results consistently to a high standard. The candidate must have the ability to manage projects from design to coordinating day-to-day activities, conform to SOPs, work to deadlines and set and achieve clear milestones, with the understanding of how these fit into the wider team purpose.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to help our customers achieve their mission, faster - apply now!
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc (www.abcamplc.com) began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.