About the role
The successful candidate will play a hands-on role in the company’s use of a variety of molecular biology, assay development, and protein purification techniques in support of various commercial and academic customer projects to deliver high-quality and on-time customized recombinant antibodies. He or she will partner closely with other team members within the group and be required to make observations, analyze data, and interpret results with supervision.
About Custom Services at Abcam
The Custom Solutions Department team in Branford is responsible for the development of best in class antibodies using our recombinant phage display and sequenced-based antibody discovery pipelines. Both pipelines are utilized to generate antibodies to a variety of different target types.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Execute experiments under direction of supervisor
- Work as part of the team to implement experimental plans
- Support data management: ensure the recording and analysis of all processed data in a timely manner, with appropriate population of laboratory notebooks and data management systems
- Help assess information to ensure data quality and completeness of results
- Ability to communicate results to supervisor and peers
- Anticipate problems to minimize issues, work to resolve any issues to minimize impact on success of projects
- Strong organizational and time management skills, ability to multitask
- Assist with regular assigned laboratory maintenance duties
- Work in accordance with current health and safety procedures, abide by laboratory SOPs and work within Abcam H&S, Ethical, and Quality standards
- Assist in other areas of the custom service team, as required, to support the team in meeting or exceeding customer deliverables
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
- B.S. in molecular biology, cell biology or a related field with 3+ years of relevant laboratory experience in an academic or industrial setting
- Good knowledge of standard molecular biology/biochemistry protocols
- General understanding of scientific principles
- General laboratory skills required
- Detail-oriented, organized, able to implement protocols and maintain a detailed lab notebook
- Ability to multitask and prioritize to meet deadlines
More About You
- M.S. in molecular biology or a related field with 3+ years of relevant laboratory experience in an academic or industrial setting
- Hands-on laboratory experience with some, or all, of the following techniques:
- Protein expression and purification
- Affinity chromatography
- Cell culture
- Cell line maintenance
- Cell Transfections
- Flow cytometry
- PCR & Molecular cloning
- Agarose gel electrophoresis
- Western blot
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc (www.abcamplc.com) began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.