|Job Type:||Full Time|
SharePoint Online is a critical business service with over 100 hundred million monthly active users. One of the critical pieces that supports this service is the SQL databases where all the metadata of user files are kept. We're currently looking for a motivated and strong Principal Software Engineering Manager to lead a team which is responsible for the reliability, efficiency, and performance of the SQL storage layer inside SharePoint Online service. If you're someone who wants a job with high impact and high visibility, you need look no further than this team because the entire world relies on us to "keep the lights on".
In this role, you will guide a team of engineers, mentoring their growth and providing technical and architectural leadership to keep the SQL databases running with optimal performance. The tasks you will oversee include, but are not limited to, building comprehensive telemetry around database usage, throttling systems against excessive usage patterns, detection & mitigation of inefficient TSQL code, root cause analysis of database related incidents, etc. You will follow issues wherever they may lead, working with many partner teams inside and outside of this organization.
- BS in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of professional software design and development experience with at least one of C/C++/C#/Java
- 2+ years experience as a technical lead or people manager
- Prior experience with developing large high-volume services, with service-oriented development and cloud-based systems
- Prior experience with SQL and/or large data sets
- Demonstrated commitment to the success of others, as a leader in the team you will be expected to mentor and manage junior developers
- Strong technical abilities, problem solving, design, rapid prototyping, coding, and debugging skills
- Good communication skills and a track record of cross-group/cross-discipline collaboration
- Quick learner who thrives in an ambiguous environment
- Team player with a positive attitude
- Excellent collaboration skills and ability to be adaptable and agile in development
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.