|Job Type:||Full Time|
It is an exciting time to be building experiences and devices at Microsoft. There is no organization in the world that is better positioned to fundamentallyimprovethe way that people live and work. Help shape the rapidly evolving productivity landscape byleading andconducting the research needed to create next-generation intelligent systems and drive the company’s bold ambitions for productivity forward.
As amemberof theOffice of Applied Research, your core mission will be toform andhelp toleadcross-orgteams thatdeliver research that fundamentally impacts Microsoft’s products and services. You will also contribute to the scientific community and beyond through presentations, publications, and other outlets (e.g., blogs, press interviews).You will join a team that bringstogether scientists frommanydifferent backgroundsand deeply values the importance of diverse perspectivesin the research process.We are looking for candidates who are smart,creativeand team-oriented, as well as self-driven, curious, and comfortable with defining their own paths.Successful applicantswill collaborate closely with people across Microsoft’s product teams, Microsoft Research, and the broader academic community, andwillhave the opportunities to see their ideas realized in products and services that are used worldwide.
- Defining, leading, and helping to conduct research projects that push the state-of-the-art and have direct impact on Microsoft products.
- Collaboratingand coordinating with people in a range of roles, including researchers, engineers, designers, and other key product stakeholders. Serving as a bridge between research and product.
- Teaching, guiding, and tutoring colleagues without research backgrounds in state-of-the-art techniques and research best practices.
- Many of the things you try should lead to unexpected outcomes. You must be comfortable learning from experience, developing new hypotheses, and iterating.
- Sharing your research with others via a range of means, including publication, to enable others to build on your work and to contribute to the reputation of our products as cutting-edge and science-driven.
- Effectivelycommunicating with product leaders(and often MSR researchers)throughout the planning and execution of applied research projects, which often involves learning and teaching complex concepts.
We seek applications from researchers across all areas of machine learning, artificial intelligence,human-centered AIand related fields with a passion for product impact.Ideal candidateswilllikelyhave experience working across field/sub-field or functional boundaries.Examples of currentareas ofinterestinclude:
- Deep learning
- Privacy-preservingtechniques inmachine learning
- Human-centered AI
- Causal inference
- Natural language processing
- Information retrieval
- Program synthesis
- Responsible AI
- Education: PhD in Computer Science or related engineering or science fields required
- A record of publication in top-tier scientific venues(ongoing or in the recent past).
- Strong collaboration skills, both within-team and across-team
- Excellent problem solving and data analysisskills
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- As part of your application please attach your CV and the names and contact information of at least two established researchers familiar with your research who will be willing to write a letter of reference. Of these, one letter should likely come from your advisor.
- Optionally, you may also attach anacademic statement (2-4 pages) that outlines both your research achievements and agendaand up to two papers that highlight your research interests.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.