|Job Type:||Full Time|
Core Services Engineering builds and manages the critical products and services that Microsoft runs on. We boldly pursue big ideas that power transformational advances at Microsoft and for our customers, while helping Microsoft teams work smarter, faster, and more securely every day. Core Services Engineering employees have deep technical and business expertise, customer insights, and a clear point of view that comes from first-hand, large-scale experience with Microsoft and industry solutions. We are engineers, technology leaders and experts, digital transformation change agents, and customer advocates. Microsoft has a long history of delivering products and services to sovereign governments. Recently, the types of products and services Microsoft sells to all customers, including governments, has grown in complexity, increasing the risk profile.
Critical to Microsoft Federal’s (MSF) success is the design, build, and run of its infrastructure. CSEO business teams depend on Enterprise 360 (E360) to enable the fabric to connect, host, and support enterprise services. Our cloud networking designed solutions leverage Azure software defined network to create environments that have “corporate context” where necessary to ensure the safe operation of corporate resources in the Cloud. This ensures a secure, reliable, and readily available environment for MSF IT admins, info workers, and developers. MSF E360 builds and operates the cloud infrastructure hosting critical services and applications. We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more!
- Translate business and functional requirements to a technical solution.
- Engage with internal customers to design and implement connectivity solutions leveraging Azure services and appropriate technology required to meet cost, interoperability, and security requirements.
- Participate in Live-Site activities pertaining to compliance, security and availability incidents.
- Participate in on-call and customer issue intake processes.
- Assess and triage application owner/customer consult requests within the context of the Azure infrastructure stack (compute/networking/storage) to further modernize and secure overall architecture in the environment.
- Implement cloud based networking topologies to provide minimally required connectivity for internal Microsoft workloads.
- Set standards in alignment with the service leadership and ensure these standards are met across services under different workloads.
- Drive efficiencies through continual improvement and root cause analysis resulting in service delivery, maturity, and scalability.
- Define and measuring service level indicators belonging to the services. Lead the design of process and technology solutions that enable measurable performance against SLIs and KPIs.
- Work on the service platform and continuous delivery process to drive improvements in service reliability, as well as working with product development teams on improving these.
- Assess new Azure features and functionality as it applies to our service delivery and technical requirements.
Cloud Network Engineering is a new discipline within Microsoft and the industry overall. While a background in networking, compute or storage is desired, its highly likely that the candidate will be met with net new technology as we work with pre-release services and building enterprise scale virtual networks is not yet gained substantial industry engagement. This discipline is ripe for people new to cloud and specifically cloud networking.
- Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- 2+ years designing connectivity solutions to meet customer requirements.
- 5+ years of experience in compute, storage, or networking.
- Experience working with networking components such as firewalls, routing, and switching.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Business or a related field, or alternative educations, skills, and/or equivalent experience is required.
- Architect Sensibilities. The ability to evaluate business and functional requirements against existing infrastructure and connectivity patterns.
- Azure experience working with virtual networks, virtual machines, storage, common PaaS services such as Azure SQL DB, etc.
- 2+ years experience running a production system or service with dependent users.
- Experience translating customer needs and technical requirements into service architecture to meet quality of service expectations.
- Experience working with common IT processes such as change management, design reviews, work item management, and agile.
- Ability to work with diverse mix of service teams consisting of diverse range of people with inclusion as a priority.
- Identify service improvements that will streamline services to improve end-user experiences, lower operating costs and increase protection of the Microsoft environment.
- Collaborate with other service teams to assist in solving their service problems, preventing a recurrence and codifying the learnings.
- Experience working in an agile environment with high organizational complexity.
- Track record in successfully planning and supporting large scale, geo-distributed, high availability enterprise services.
- Experience in program or project management to plan, design, deploy and document customer solutions.
- Create internal and external documentation such as standard operating procedures for internal use and customer facing knowledge resources with the help of engineering resources.
- Proficiency with a scripting language. Preferably PowerShell.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.