|Job Type:||Full Time|
Azure Compute is Azure's most profitable business and is growing incredibly fast! We provide millions of virtual machines for customers to run their workload in the cloud. We are a globally available foundational service that hosts services with the scale of Bing/Skype/AzureStore/SQL, host millions of multiplayer gaming sessions and allow solving large computational problems in seconds.
Azure Compute team is the “kernel” of Microsoft’s Cloud. We build a customer centric fault tolerant distributed system on top of commodity datacenter hardware, to deliver an infrastructure for hosting cloud applications in virtual servers. We create an illusion that resources are limitless, infinitely elastic, and always available.
The team is working on few different areas that you can have a big impact. This includes:
Projects improving Azure scale - this includes capabilities and mechanisms for larger service footprints, managing 20x more physical machines and services than it does today. We are building a set of highly scalable, highly available, micro services that will be the next generation service management for all azure types of compute services.
Projects involving end customer service uptime and availability - applying and building machine learning to build a 'Smarter' kernel that can be adaptive to events in the datacenter and services to decide on actions - especially when needed to increase service availability and uptime.
Projects around service reliability and performance - provide extremely reliable and fast on-demand compute instances irrespective of the size and scale of the service (multiple orders of magnitude faster than today). We are working on architectural and structural improvements across the entire Azure Core stack (Azure Compute Manager, Azure Host OS and Host Agent, Compute Resource Provider, Azure Networking etc). The team in working on a few different areas that will have reduce deployment times to surpass our competition. The approach here is multipronged. It involves algorithmic investments, deep involved architectural/protocol changes to improve parallelization or eliminate steps in the workflow and finally smart innovative solutions to pre-process as much of the work as possible and to be able to do the remaining in seconds to get VM ready for customers. We focus on certain high impact scenarios to enable new businesses on Azure. We are a result-oriented team working vertically through the whole stack to deliver order of magnitude improvements.
Atlanta office has a full fledge team for multiple of the cross section of the components involved in the rearchitecture effort and we will be driving full projects wholly from Atlanta site working closely with other engineers in the Redmond office. The ideal candidate will be able to collaborate closely with the customer and other teams in Microsoft to develop and deliver the solutions to the projects listed above. We have a proven history of similar successful cross region collaboration working with Microsoft India.
Windows Azure is a big bet for Microsoft, and we are taking big bets of our own in the compute team. If you’re interested in attacking hard technical problems and driving innovation in an area that has huge potential for impact on the company’s future, then this is THE position for you.
A successful candidate will lead a team drive big innovations to help improve the experience for our customers working closely with other team members and multiple organizations in azure. Some of the basic responsibilities include:
- Lead a team of engineers to design and develop large scale distributed software services and solutions.
- Help mentor and grow Engineers in the team.
- Provide thought leadership and technical direction, architectural inputs and collaboration with partners to deliver high quality products.
- Ensure that services and components are well-defined and modularized, secure, reliable, diagnosable, actively monitored, and reusable.
- 8+ years of professional software engineering experience.
- 3+ years of experience as a technical engineering leader focused on architecture design.
- 2+ years of people management experience.
- Experience working on distributed systems/cloud services is a plus.
- Technical background and solid foundation in software engineering principles.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related field, OR equivalent industry experience.
- Desire to manage diverse, inclusive and collaborative software/hardware co-design teams.
- Excellent customer and partner focus - able to understand their needs through a data driven approach.
- Ability to organize and implement integration tests and resolve problem areas.
- Ability to be a technical Lead for project to drive collaboration across multiple components and lead junior engineers in the team.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Experience with online services and Machine Learning/AI - a big plus.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.