|Job Type:||Full Time|
This is a thrilling time to be part of Azure as Microsoft continues to embrace this exciting growth area! Are you tired of working on “yesteryear” technology and want to be part of what’s next? Are you looking for a challenging career where working directly with customers is your top priority? Are you passionate about working with Public Sector customers on their journey to the Cloud?
If so, then the Azure Special Capabilities, Infrastructure, and Innovation (ASCII) Engineering team is what you have been looking for! ASCII is an elite team of engineers within the Azure Global engineering organization that works with strategic federal customers on Azure. By joining this team, you will have the opportunity to work closely with other peer Azure Engineering teams to spearhead customer enablement and adoption of new and bleeding edge technologies. You will work with large and strategic customers to design, architect, and prototype solutions to address novel problems pushing Azure’s boundaries and to identify product changes to democratize these patterns for our wider customer base. As a Public Sector focused Software Engineer, you will work closely both with general Azure development teams as well as our US Government focused Sovereign Cloud ecosystem teams.
Besides deeply engaging with customers on delivering successful projects you will also be able to greatly impact and influence the direction of the platform by bringing learnings from customer engagements and projects back into the engineering system. This will allow us to build upon our customer obsession and further iterate our products to meet the needs of our customers and industry.
The ASCII team is looking for a highly motivated Software Engineer to work closely with our Public Sector customers and partners. We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer who is not afraid to roll up their sleeves and lean in with the customer.
Azure Global - Azure Special Capabilities, Infrastructure, and Innovation (ASCII) - Software Engineers are expected to be hands-on technical experts, capable of directly implementing proof of concept solutions to the architectures they derive with customers after exploring their requirements. Your insights from these customer engagements will influence future product releases. You will be required to present technical challenges, solutions, and guidance to audiences including senior customer technical and business decision makers, executives, conference attendees, and internal engineering leadership.
The candidate should possess strong software engineering and architectural knowledge building solutions on top of Azure, combined with great relationship skills to be successful in this exciting role. As a member of the ASCII team, you will be responsible for extending the reach of engineering product teams across North America. You will help product teams understand and prioritize customer feedback for the improvement of products and services based on the customer projects you will be delivering on.
To be successful in this challenging position, you will need exceptional cross-group collaboration, strategic thinking, and customer skills. The candidate needs to possess excellent communication and presentation skills as well as have the ability to effectively interface with employees and customers at all levels. As a thought leader, the candidate will also need to have a deep understanding of the strategies and offerings of key competitors.
What we are offering the ideal candidate:
- A fast paced, exciting work environment where there is always a new challenge.
- Direct interaction with product group resources to develop skillsets Azure knowledge unmatched outside engineering.
- Opportunities to showcase your talents and help customers at the same time.
- Direct influence on product engineering decisions as you will represent the voice of the customer.
- Minimum five years working on large and complex customer projects in the datacenter/cloud space or equal level of experience in product teams as program manager or developer/test engineer over several ship cycles in datacenter/cloud scale products
- Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Candidates must have an active US Government Top Secret security clearance and be willing to upgrade to TS/SCI (with polygraph), or have an active TS/SCI (with polygraph). This role will require candidates to maintain the TS/SCI (with polygraph) clearance.
- Bachelors or higher degree in technology, Computer Science or Engineering or related discipline
- Azure for Government or other Sovereign Cloud experience strongly desired
- Experience working with government IT projects and teams
- Knowledge of other open source technologies is an added advantage
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills
- Ability to design and architect solutions on top of Azure (Commercial/Gov)
- Ability and flexibility to learn and adapt to a spectrum of services and platform capabilities that make up Azure
- Good understanding of the latest engineering process and practices in the Cloud and Enterprise division
- The candidate should be equally comfortable interacting with anyone: from a very technical developer to a business-focused executive
- Strong analytical and strategic capabilities, with excellent written and presentation skills
- Strong customer and partner empathy, with demonstrated ability to translate real world business problems into end-to-end technology product solutions
- Excellent cross-organizational agility, partnering skills with ability to drive shared goals across multiple groups in different regions/continents
- A proven ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects and customers
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Deep technical knowledge on Cloud (could be Azure, AWS, GCP) - Public/Private Cloud, IaaS, PaaS, services etc.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.