|Job Type:||Full Time|
Come and join the Microsoft Browser Data Science & Experimentation team where we thrive on data to solve high impact business problems! Help develop capabilities focused on A/B experimentation, staged rollout, and metric design. You will work with key teams across Microsoft to deliver the infrastructure, push the culture, and analyze the outcomes for accelerated business growth through consumer experimentation. We are a small team that owns the evangelism and support for the entire Edge Browser team’s experimentation efforts. We partner with other experimentation teams in Microsoft to build and advance a common solution while partnering with our business partners to ensure that treatment effects are thoroughly understood and decisions are made to optimize for growth and business success. We are part of a broader data science team within Edge providing insights that help us understand our customers and their desires and inherent behaviors. Work with data from diverse structured and unstructured data sources in a variety of formats. You’ll have direct interaction with experts in machine learning, software development and partner product teams, on the vision, scenario/feature planning, execution and delivery of transformative solutions for the web.
We’re looking for a Senior Data Scientist who is highly motivated, extremely passionate about driving a data culture, has a proven track record of designing high quality metrics and experiments, and is excellent at working across disciplines to build high quality software. We hire great people with diverse multi-disciplinary backgrounds, engineering and analytical skills, business experience, relentless curiosity, and a motivation to improve product quality and business outcomes with data. You should have a clear record of using data to improve the world around you and demonstrate an aptitude for mentoring others. Our work is highly varied and offers a chance to focus on many different data science techniques and aspects of the Edge business.
As an expert in data science, you will guide the team, helping feature teams formulate approaches to solve challenging problems using well-defined algorithms and data sources in context of customer, engineering, and business needs. You will become an expert in browser telemetry and the experimentation system used by many of the most successful teams within Microsoft. You will also help teams interpret the results of their analysis, validate their approach, and learn to monitor, analyze, and iterate to continuously improve. You will engage with peers to produce clear, compelling, and actionable insights that influence product and service improvements; and guide the decision making of our leadership and executives as we crafting the experience hundreds of millions of customers have with Edge. You will also engage in the peer review process and act on feedback while learning innovative methods, algorithms, and tools to increase the impact and applicability of your results.
- Build a holistic understanding of our product features, its customer, data infrastructure, product and business groups
- Understand key business performance indicators as well as answer product and business questions to drive product and marketing actions
- Use your knowledge to guide feature teams toward solid experiment and success metric design – power, triggering, etc.
- Utilize formal/shared experimentation infrastructure and scorecard to support analysis and decision making
- Ensure that our common metrics are well designed, have appropriate sensitivity, and are reliable
- Conduct ad-hoc analysis where further detail is necessary
- Leverage industry best practices in establishing repeatable principles & processes
- Contribute to shared experimentation infrastructure and tools to benefit Edge and other teams in Microsoft
- Partner with Engineering and PM to develop deep insights into product success and communicate those to both technical & non-technical audiences
- Engineering experience using large data systems on SQL, Hadoop, Hive queries, etc.
- Experience with experimentation, metric design, predictive analysis, exploratory data analysis, and other areas of data science
- Proficiency using one or more programming or scripting language like Python, R, SQL to work with data
- Bachelor’s Degree in data science, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering or another quant-focused field
- 5+ years' experience in Software Engineering, Data Science, Analytics and/or Statistics
- Programming languages like C#, C++, Perl, JS, Node.JS
- Strong ability to articulate vision, requirements & benefits, providing a solid rationale to business and technical partners
- Self-motivated, agile and driven to think out-of-the-box
- Advanced degree in data science, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering or another quant-focused field
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.