|Job Type:||Full Time|
The Microsoft Azure Internet of Things (IoT) team is at the forefront of the next digital transformation. The products we make have direct impact on real world challenges like climate change, smart cities, healthcare and transportation. If you are looking for direct product influence, real-world scenarios, intriguing design problems, and a highly engaged team, then join our fast growing team of designers and researchers with this unique opportunity to work in IoT. Learn more about Microsoft's investment in Azure IoT.
We are looking for a User Researcher II to help us understand our customers and their needs. You'll work on a multidisciplinary team comprised of interaction, visual, and content designers, as well as user researchers to co-create Azure Internet of Things product experiences. Our team is part of larger design studio at Microsoft called the Cloud + AI Design Studio which is reshaping the digital experiences for modern cloud-based applications and services. The team is comprised of widely talented and diverse individuals with interesting backgrounds and eclectic passions. It’s an atmosphere where creativity and innovation thrive, where you can solve hard problems, and make a positive impact every day.
As the User Researcher II, you'll be responsible for generating the research that helps set the strategic direction of this industry-leading product line. We’ll rely on you to identify and conduct strategic research. This may include competitive analyses, user modeling research, site visits/contextual inquiries, data analytics, participatory design studies, and other types of research based on project needs. You'll also perform tactical research, such as interviews, surveys, scorecards, moderated and unmoderated usability studies. After each study, you'll share your learnings about users' needs, behaviors, and mental models. You'll derive insights, identify opportunities, develop frameworks, and evangelize them across our team to ensure they become integral to how we think about the experiences we create. You will also have an opportunity to innovate on new methods, and practices that contribute to the UX community within the Cloud and AI division and Microsoft. Confident and assertive, you love asking big questions and using innovative research methods to unearth answers. You love to learn and thrive on collaborative multidisciplinary teams where everyone has a strong opinion. And you’re passionate about finding ways to use technology to change the world for the better.
- 3+ years of user research experience. Enterprise software experience is a plus.
- 1+ years of experience performing data or telemetry analysis
- Experience performing ethnographic or generative research that impacts UX, design, or planning
- Success devising novel research methods to address special aspects or constraints of a project
- Track record of collaborating across multiple disciplines and executive stakeholders to drive change into products.
- A basic understanding of coding, and experience performing usability studies on code or development workflows is a plus
- Proven ability to work within tight timelines and with excellent project management skills. Experience with Agile and Lean frameworks is a plus.
- A passion for understanding users
- A collaborative spirit and enthusiasm for mentoring others
- Masters or PhD degree: cognitive, experimental, or social psychology; ethnography, human factors, HCI, or HCD; or equivalent experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills; experience effectively presenting rich customer data and articulate the implications of research findings to executive-level audiences.
Does this sound like you? If so, we invite you to apply. We can't wait to see the best-in-class user experiences we'll create together.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.