|Location:||San Jose, California|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
The VP, Technology Program Management is an executive leader within Okta’s Technology organization comprising the Engineering and Business Technology (IT) organizations. Reporting to the President, Technology, this role will partner directly with the EVP, Engineering and CIO to ensure program management value-add to their organizations is optimized. As a leader of leaders, this VP will manage directors and managers who are responsible for Engineering Program Management, Business Technology Program Management, Technology Communications & Events and Technology Vendor Operations.
Leveraging the critical skill of influencing without authority, this leader will build partnerships with not only Engineering and Business Technology senior leadership, but also with leads and managers throughout the organization including cross-organizational leaders within Product, Security, Customer Success, and internal business organizations. Moreover, the VP, Technology Program Management (TPM) must guide, influence and motivate a growing team of managers and TPMs to deliver must-have program management value to the Technology organization and Okta.
- Lead the implementation of Technical Program Management within Engineering and Business Technology - applying your own hands-on experience and expertise on how program management value-add is optimized.
- Partner with Engineering and Business Technology leaders and managers to enable TPMs to not only facilitate, but also to contribute and lead.
- Align with Product, Security and Customer Success leaders, program managers and operations roles to create alignment and maximize value-add.
- Align with internal business organizations’ leaders to enable TPMs to partner with the business teams and manage the business’ portfolios.
- Lead, guide and manage the delivery of internal technical reference material for multiple organizations’ use - applying your own judgment and prioritization on what information will best serve the organizations.
- Lead the strategy & execution of Technology org-wide events which directly influence the org’s culture and team members’ experiences.
- Lead, guide and manage the program management of the Technology organization’s vendor usage and costs - via partnerships with technical leaders, Finance and Procurement organizations.
- Build effective leaders and teams while developing the talent to ensure a durable succession plan
- Influence and provide specific guidance for the development of new or improved Technology org processes aimed enabling scale and increasing efficiencies.
- Champion efficiencies, automation and the use of data to measure, track and change. Apply direct experience with tools like Atlassian, google apps and tableau.
- Minimum 15 or more years of technical project / program management experience in a software, SaaS or systems development environment - including internal process development and change management
- Minimum 10 or more years of people management experience, directly managing individual TPMs, project / program managers, Scrum Leads as well as people managers.
- Expert level knowledge of the TPM function and how it can best serve technical delivery teams in Engineering and Business Technology, as well as product and business ops teams.
- Able to clearly communicate the value-add of program management and create a common set of expectations within other functional organizations
- Superior communication and genuine leadership, coupled with the ability and interest to operate strategically and also dive deep.
- Agile and Scrum methodology coaching experience for multiple technical functions.
- Hands-on experience developing and successfully rolling out internal processes which create or strengthen organizational and team efficiencies.
- Experience working directly with Engineering and Business Technology leaders
- Change management expert; able to bring others along a journey of change
- Skilled in how to best provide transparency, on-going status and portfolio management
- Leads by example and loves to coach and teach to lift people up
- Understands when processes can and should be flexible; advocates for just the “right amount” of process
- Experience working in a startup environment desired
- Exhibits confidence and an extensive knowledge of emerging industry practices when solving business and technical problems.
- Comfortable and willing to be a hands-on contributor.
- Communicates with internal and external customers and all levels of management. Understands how to communicate difficult/ sensitive information tactfully.
- Delivers informative, well-organized presentations.
- Pushes creative thinking beyond the boundaries of existing industry practices and customer mindsets.
- Attract, develop, and retain top talent in the organization. An ability to create loyalty, trust, and a following. Understands what it takes to connect, listen, and engage at all levels of the organization.
- Holds self and others accountable; able to get the best of people and inspire people to go beyond and grow
- A tenacious leader with endurance and grit. Can lead by example and build a strong team, while also acting in a strategic capacity.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor’s degree (Graduate Degree preferred)
- Training in Agile and Scrum
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.