|Job Type:||Full Time|
About the company and the team
At Microsoft, we have bold ambitions: Empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. To accomplish this, the Mixed Reality Design and UX Research team is looking for divergent thinkers and designers who explore and learn by making, obsess over every degree, pixel, word, and sound wave, and bring their curiosity and passion to re-imaging the relationship between people and technology. In 2015, we launched HoloLens, the world’s first spatial computing device and platform, with the mission of empowering people to transform their world. In 2020, we continue that journey with the core belief that mixed reality can bring people closer and help them go further.
About the role
Microsoft’s Mixed Reality Design and UX Research team is looking for a customer-focused Principal Service Designer with the passion, curiosity, creativity, and empathy to define the future of spatial computing. You will work with our interdisciplinary team to transform customer signal into actionable insights, generate and prototype transformative experiences, and define the path ahead for Microsoft’s MR services, platform, and products.
As a Principal Service Designer, you will be focused on our end-to-end customer journey, with special attention to the diverse touchpoints by which a user or community of users may enter, manage, and share their mixed reality experience across a broad ecosystem of devices.
In this role, you will combine the insights of a researcher and the holistic thinking of an experience architect. You will bring your perspective to our human-centered design process and partner with a diverse set of experience leaders in creating a service mentality in our organization. You will explore new experiences and work to unite the ways that our platform and products can empower people and groups to transform the world. You’ll work alongside others in a highly collaborative, cross-disciplinary rapid prototyping environment where we test early, test often, and tirelessly push for the best. You will bring humanity, humility, and systems thinking to our platform and long-term roadmap, and bring focused craft to our products. There is no bigger opportunity than defining the foundation of mixed reality computing, communication, and creativity. We cannot wait to see what you will bring.
As a Principal Service Designer, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Drive definition and alignment of technology initiatives and projects with key stakeholders and teams
- Work with designers, researchers, engineers, and program managers to design, communicate, and scale Mixed Reality services through artifacts like user journeys, storyboards, and Unity-based prototypes
- Drive a process of rapid and iterative prototyping of human-centered service design concepts
- Collaborate with design researchers to distill insights and generate concepts from customer, product, and prototype feedback
- Partner with the services developer team to manage the capacity and scale of our deployed services
- Manage the relationships we have with partner teams to support our services
- Effectively communicate the status of projects and services across the Mixed Reality team
- Identify risks in advance and drive the team towards successful resolution
- Seek inclusive and divergent feedback from peers and leads to push your thinking and creativity
- Contribute to shared understanding of experiential and technical factors that impact customer experience across disciplines
- Be a positive and inspiring force in the team
- 7+ years of professional experience in service and experience design
- Launched or evolved commercial or consumer services in the real world
- Expertise in human-centered design
- Ability to navigate ambiguity in a self-directed culture and emerging technology space
- Technical acumen and expertise in designing, delivering, and maintaining applications and services, meeting or exceeding the bar for quality
- Experience managing delivery, including timeline and budget
- Ability to build consensus among diverse stakeholders, and audiences
- Proven success building strong relationships with colleagues and partners.
- Proactively seeks and gives feedback.
- Self-motivated, flexible, and results driven.
Nice to have’s
- At least 1-2 years of experience in services, Live Ops, or sustained engineering.
- Expertise with AWS, Azure, PlayFab, Google, and/or Xbox Live services.
- Connecting Cloud Services – You can leverage the power of the cloud through service integration
- Proficiency with 3D tools such as Unity or Unreal
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.