Product Design Engineering Internship Positions
Please note: Your application will be considered for all of our open college positions in our US locations.
Our culture believes in POWERING YOUR POTENTIAL . We provide global opportunities to develop your career, make your community a better place and work with today’s most innovative thinkers to solve the world’s toughest problems.
We believe in flexibility for you to explore your passions while making an impact through meaningful work within our inclusive workforce. That’s what #LifeAtCummins is all about.
We are looking for a talented Product Design Engineer to join our team specializing in Engineering for our Corporate Business in Columbus, IN and/or your remote home office.
In this role, you will make an impact in the following ways:
This product focused position applies knowledge of engineering principles and design practices to create optimized design concepts and mechanical design specifications considering application, cost, weight, performance, reliability, durability, manufacturing, assembly, and serviceability. This role effectively communicates the capability of a design concept to meet cross-functional requirements including assessment of alternative and competitive design concepts and works effectively across cross-functional disciplines to develop corporate and customer requirements including those required to resolve product issues.
- Investigates material and material processing problems, understands causal mechanisms, recommends appropriate action, actively contributes to problem resolution and documents results with guidance from more experienced team members.
- Applies and supports the improvement of processes such as material and material processing validation, quality auditing, design validation and 7-step problem solving and utilizes the tools and techniques for material characterization, material testing, non-destructive testing, mechanical and physical properties measurement, simulation and statistical data analysis which are required to enable higher quality decision making.
- Obtains input and negotiates with Quality, Supply Chain and Engineering functions and delivers testing/analysis results and consultancy to these functions to enable internal and external customer success.
- Makes decisions in the areas of material and material processing selection and optimization, qualification and inspection that impact product quality, reliability, durability and capability.
- Applies and improves material specifications/standards in alignment with requirements, capability and quality needs.
- Owns problem resolution for moderately complex components, products, systems, subsystems or services with a greater degree of technical complexity and ambiguity over the entry level engineer level and with greater accountability to the project team.
- Provides independent execution of established work processes and systems, while still developing technology or product knowledge; engages with the improvement of systems and processes.
- Involves minimal direct management of people but could involve the coordination and direction of work amongst technicians and/or temporary student employees.
- Contributes effectively toward team goals, exhibits influence within a work group and continues to develop proficiency in the competency areas critical to success in the role.
To be successful in this role you will need the following:
- Cross-Functional Design Integration
- Mechanical Design of Mechanical Systems
- Mechanical Design Specifications
- Mechanical Design Modeling and Analysis
- Product Problem Solving
- System Requirements Engineering
- Product Platform Planning and Architecting
- Drives Results
- Communicates Effectively