|Job Type:||Full Time|
The Azure SRE team is responsible for the reliability of the Azure platform. Our team works to make Azure’s near real-time telemetry and alerting platform more reliable and infinitely scalable. This work directly influences product decisions, improves customer experience, and enables faster response and notification to service disruptions for our most critical services.
In this role you will be a technical lead for the Azure SRE team focusing on the reliability of the Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) both in the service itself as well as the 1stparty users of AKS. You will work closely with the AKS team to provide solutions which improve their overall quality and reliability. You will write software and help ser direction to build observability into the core components and architectural constructs to make reliability a default for AKS, Kubernetes implementations, and Azure products.
Our team has a wide variety of backgrounds including Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Physics, and Psychology. Our diversity of knowledge and experience comes together for the benefit of our billions of daily Azure users, our business, our colleagues, and ourselves. We strongly believe that diverse experiences, backgrounds, and anenvironment where everyone can feel safe to contribute their own insights in a data-driven, objective, and supportive way is the key to making the best workplace possible, and the best workplace makes the best products and services. Not only is it the smart thing, but it is also the right thing.
If you are excited by this type of challenge, and you love to work in groups of people who are similarly excited, come join us! We value the input of people who aren’t afraid to be learning all the time and embrace mistakes as they show the way forward to continuously improve both services andthemselves.
- Drive reliability throughout the Azure Kubernetes Service through observability, informed architectural improvements, and automation.
- Develop clean and thorough designs and code that exemplify quality, simplicity, and maintainability with global scalability.
- Embody the Microsoft Leadership Principles by creating clarity, generating energy, and ultimately delivering success of the right outcomes from ideation to implemented solution.
- Mentor and teach engineers across Azure to improve visibility, use of tools to diagnose, and scale learnings through improved documentation and training.
- Encourage a culture of observability and provide technical leadership to implement and scale observability across Azure.
- Bachelor of Science, Computer Science degree or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of software development experience in design, build, or implementation of online services preferable in one of the public clouds (Azure, AWS, GCP)
- 5+ years of experience using scripting languages such as Bash, Python, and PowerShell, or complied language such as Go, C#, or .Net
- 2+ years of Kubernetes experience or other container management systems
- 7+ years in distributed systems management and software development with experience designing, building, and implementing such services.
- 3+ years of design, build, or implementation of distributed service health – Specifically desired is a deep understanding and familiarity with MELT (Monitoring, Events, Logging, Tracing) design and implementation patters for large-scale distributed services.
- Previous experience as a technical lead or people manager that can drive engineering solutions.
- Aspire to grow as a person, as a teammate, and as an engineer.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.