|Job Type:||Full Time|
What is Yammer?
Microsoft Yammer is THE social network for the workplace. Millions of employees, including 85% of Fortune 500 companies use Yammer every day, to build community and culture, share knowledge, and connect with their leaders and each other.
Yammer was one of the first startup unicorns this past decade, which was acquired by Microsoft in 2012. A lot of what makes working at Yammer special is the unique blend of being a “startup” within a market-leading tech company.
You can be part of a renaissance at Microsoft, designing, building and delivering experiences that delight end users while catering to millions of users worldwide through scalable, and high traffic and resilient software
Why the Authentication and Networks Team?
This team builds and delivers the core Yammer authentication experience and critical Yammer core functionality that powers all many features that scales to millions of users. You will work on challenging assignments such as Azure Active Directory Authentication features, security features and infrastructure that enables group, users, and network capabilities. You will uplift and make the platform and experiences engaging through working on features that enable other core areas of Yammer to function. We work in small, cross-functional teams (engineers, product managers, designers, data scientists) to design, deliver and operate and deliver delightful end user experiences and highly scalable microservices. The customers are the millions of end users spread across the world and available in multiple languages.
You will have:
- Autonomy and freedom to innovate
- Choice of the best of open source and Microsoft-internal technology
- A chance to experiment, A/B test, use data science and make data driven choices
- Tons of opportunity for outsized impact
- A forum to contribute to one of the largest collaboration suite in the world
At the same time, we also have the benefits of working at a top-tier tech company like Microsoft:
- Compensation, benefits, and perks (especially in the Bay Area!)
- Internal resources, technology, and opportunities for learning and growth
- Brand and networking
- Opportunity for massive scale: Yammer sits within the Office 365 suite, which has 100M+ users
It’s a great time to join! We are already at scale, but we are ramping even more, and there’s so much uncharted territory in front of us.
- Design, build, and maintain services with millions of users, operating in multiple global regions
- Collaborate with product, design, and engineering to deliver a delightful Yammer experience
- Continually seek deeper insights into the performance and scalability of our systems
- Experiment, A/B test key hypothesis to make data driven decisions
- Improve service reliability, performance and latencies for Yammer, by reducing mean time to recovery (MTTR)
- BS in Computer Science or a related field
- 3+ years of experience in software engineering
- 2+ years of experience developing and operating cloud services, APIs etc.
- 2+ years of experience working on production quality externally exposed APIs
- Java, Graph QL, REST, proficiency
- Excellent programmer: your code is maintainable, and you write tests
- Experience with Ruby is a plus
- Own your code through production
- Curious about reliability and performance, up and down the stack
- Micro services development, deployment, and monitoring
- Experience building large scale, resilient distributed systems
- Working familiarity with networking protocols (TCP/IP, HTTP) and network architectures
- Efficient, tenacious debugging skills
- Linux on Azure
- Java and rails micro services, deployed as docker containers
- Graph QL, DropWizard REST APIs
- Mesos container orchestration
- HAProxy-based service mesh
- Wavefront metrics, Azure Data Explorer log aggregation, PagerDuty alerting
- Wavefront metrics, Microsoft-internal log aggregation
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.