|Job Type:||Full Time|
In Mixed Reality, people—not devices—are at the center of everything we do. Our tech moves beyond screens and pixels, creating a new reality aimed at bringing us closer together—whether that’s scientists “meeting” on the surface of a virtual Mars or some yet undreamt-of possibility. To get there, we’re incorporating groundbreaking technologies, from the revolutionary Holographic Processing Unit to computer vision, machine learning, human-computer interaction, and more.
We’re a growing team of talented engineers, program managers and artists putting technology on a human path across all Windows devices, including Microsoft HoloLens, the Internet of Things, phones, tablets, desktops, and Xbox. Our team has people from a wide variety of backgrounds, identities, previous work histories, life experiences, and we are eager to maintain and grow that diversity. Our varied backgrounds and unique experiences enable us to be better at building the best solutions for our customers and make for dynamic and joyful collaborations with colleagues!
If you are passionate about groundbreaking Mixed Reality technology and want to work on a team dedicated to a culture of inclusion, growth mindset and collaboration, we need you!
In this cross-functional engineering architect role, you will partner with engineers, scientists, program managers, designers, and engineering leaders across many teams to improve how current and future mixed reality devices fundamentally work. You will help us build technology that accurately aligns and persist holograms over the real world, precisely navigate from point A to point B and adapt to continually changing environmental conditions.
You will help us by measuring, understanding and improving core Mixed Reality algorithms across a range of operating systems and device form factors. The foundation of our engineering culture is data. Data is the oil the feeds our algorithms. We use data to train, and we use data to validate. We understand the science; and have the data to back it up.
- Act as the primary engineering architect to unlock key mixed reality scenarios through data and deep algorithmic and scenario insights.
- Use ground truth testing, robotics, emulation, simulation, real-world end to end testing to quantify performance and capabilities of computer vision and positional tracking algorithms powering AR and MR devices.
- Implement data and quality processing pipelines to measure and improve algorithm performance across AR and VR devices and scenarios.
- Develop and implement next generation data collection strategies for ground truth algorithmic validation and DNN training using real world and novel synthetic data generation methods.
- Use and extend advanced product telemetry to improve understanding of real world performance of mixed reality devices.
- BS or Masters in Computer Science or similar engineering degree, or 10+ years of equivalent industry experience
- 10+ years of experience in C++, Java, or C#
- 3+ data engineering experience, building data pipelines, telemetry instrumentation, collection, transformation, and reporting.
- Be self-driven and show ability to deliver on ambiguous technical challenges with incomplete data and requirements.
- Ability to work cross team; and build environment that promotes collaboration by leading multiple working groups with great written, verbal communication and presentation skills.
- 5+ experience with data engineering, building data pipelines, telemetry instrumentation, collection, transformation, and reporting.
- Experience developing in Unity and/or Unreal.
- Hands on experience with Azure Data Explorer/Kusto, Azure Databricks, Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Power BI
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
This position requires access to export-controlled commodities, technical data, technology, software, and services governed by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Due to contractual limitations and ITAR obligations associated with this role, U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, or protected person status under 8 U.S.C. § 1324b(a)(3) is required.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.