|Job Type:||Full Time|
Are you interested in helping product leaders and teams become more successful through customer-obsessed new product development practices? Are you entrepreneurial and motivated to help create and manage how we identify, support, nurture, and fund new product incubation ideas for company growth? Our team is chartered to run critical cross-company programs that focus on supporting innovative new product development that results in new growth opportunities for Microsoft with high user value.
We are looking for an experienced program manager with new product and business expertise that can develop a strategy, planning, and operations approach to identify high priority customer, business and tech trends and opportunities for new product ideas. Additionally, this role will be instrumental to help coach and co-develop with new product development teams analytic and data-driven views of their addressable market opportunity. Complementing this focus, this role will also address business and operational areas that can enable successful product incubation by working with other groups such as finance, legal, field/sales, compliance, and others to take down barriers in a systemic approach. This role requires creativity, outside-the-box thinking, along with a hunger for learning and highly adaptive people skills as we work with a wide-range of people and roles and seek insights across multiple customer segments and market types.
In this role, successful candidates will be creating market and opportunity analysis and ways to test business assumptions for various incubations to help them scope their market opportunity and explore business models. This includes helping leaders and teams define, prepare and execute their product plan aligned with their insights on market dynamics and requirements for market entry. This work can also include helping leaders and teams prepare for market with price testing / licensing, partnerships, and go-to-market strategies. This program is on the leading edge of piloting new ways to help leaders and teams create, validate, build, and continuously improve products users love. Your strong balance of analytical and new product development skills, along with collaboration and influence skills with decision makers, team members and other supporting organizations will be key to success.
- Leveraging market research, business modeling and financial/data analysis to design, evaluate and recommend strategic market areas for leaders and teams to create new product incubations to drive growth for the company.
- Partnering with senior stakeholders across marketing, engineering, sales, finance, legal, operations, and other organizations to solidify market analysis and market opportunity strategy.
- Work closely with new incubation teams and leaders to scope addressable market opportunity analysis tempered with the challenges, realities, and opportunities of new markets.
- Collaborating closely with incubation product teams to design business requirements and negotiate trade-offs to translate the opportunity strategy into realistic shippable scenarios and executional milestones. Course correct analysis as incubation teams execute and drive results.
- Actively seek and apply new methods and ideas to strong market analysis, opportunity and business modeling, learning from both inside and outside of Microsoft, and utilizing a network of learners who can help improve how you coach and support teams to create new product opportunities.
- Apply “best in class” project and program management methodologies to achieve great results, including working to operationalize ways incubation teams deal with the various requirements needed to test, measure, grow and commercialize their products.
- Integrate lessons learned from coaching incubating product teams into continual program improvements and document/publish learning for others to consume.
- Synthesize, communicate and present market opportunity findings and recommendations to key engineering decision makers and leadership team members. Document best practices for greater learning.
- Deliver on projects that could range from very well defined to ambiguous involving multiple stakeholders and unclear requirements. Agility in defining requirements, gathering resources to help define and create a strong work product is important.
- BS/BA degree or equivalent. MBA preferred.
- 8+ years of working in business consulting, product marketing, business planning, or program management
- 2+ years of experience in one or more of the following:
- Venture capital project
- Brand new product development internally or at another company in its earliest stages (first 1-2 years)
- Bringing a brand new product/category to market
- Experience directly presenting product plans and other communications to Partner or VP level executives
- Familiarity with use of and/or sourcing expertise and tools to help new products teams assess markets, opportunities, new product plans and external market entry factors.
- Strong demonstrated skills with deep business modeling and analytic capabilities.
- Strong interpersonal, communication (written and oral) and presentation skills.
- Strategic thinker able to analyze data to identify trends, risks and opportunities and apply appropriate models, priorities and recommendations to take advantage of short and long-term opportunities.
- Advanced experience with gathering, synthesizing and modeling large amounts of data and reports, use of Excel models and using BI dashboards, and the use of either internal or external tools to create sound analytic models and reports with clear analysis and recommendations.
- Understanding of Microsoft business and financial practices, channel, contracting and license motions in product development.
- Strong operations skills to work with other teams to create, optimize or revamp business policies, systems or processes to support incubation acceleration.
- Self-motivated and confidence working at a senior executive level and across a matrixed organization and relationships.
- Effective cross-group collaborator with strong communication/relationship skills and proven ability to build consensus and drive to resolution at all levels within an organization.
- Ability to work in a flexible, fast-paced environment and often where the candidate will be developing next steps in how we analyze opportunity for new products.
- Self-managing leader who takes initiative and demonstrates a high desire for learning.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.