|Job Type:||Full Time|
Senior Mechanical Engineer on the Datacenter Engineering Operations team dedicated to the ongoing support of operational datacenters. This position will be located at Microsoft’s Cheyenne, WY data center.
Microsoft’s Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers our cloud services. As a CO+I Senior Mechanical Engineer, you will perform a key role in delivering the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's online services including Bing, Office 365, Xbox, OneDrive, and the Microsoft Azure platform.
Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our foundation is built upon and managed by a team of subject matter experts working to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
With environmental sustainability and optimization at the forefront of our datacenter design and operations, we continue to grow and evolve as we meet the ever-changing business demands that hold Microsoft as a world-class cloud provider.
Be at the forefront of the action in CO+I as part of our Global data center Team.
The DCE Operations Senior Mechanical Engineer is a key subject matter expert responsible for providing technical direction, governance, and education pertaining to Microsoft’s operational datacenter fleet. Although this role is site based, the successful candidate will be a crucial part of global team supporting datacenters worldwide focusing on but not limited to:
- A strong desire and capability to learn, grow, and develop new skills
- Empower a culture of safety, security, and compliance in all aspect of data center activities
- Understand the design and functionality of your datacenter
- Providing technical guidance during facility outages and supporting subsequent root cause investigations
- Mechanical system EOP development and governance
- Work alongside a team of industry professionals across the Information Technology (IT) and Critical Environments (CE) spectrum to support 24x7x365 on-site datacenter operations and mechanical infrastructures.
- Act as the technical authority for on-site operations of large-scale mechanical systems and designs.
- Collaborate with the Operations and Design team to develop data center (DC) mechanical designs, starting from project conception to issue for construction (IFC) for new DC projects build outs and major infrastructure upgrades.
- Establish and coordinate maintenance & safety procedures, maintaining redundant high-capacity cooling systems; to operating and supporting datacenter backup electrical systems (diesel generators, rotary UPS, etc.)
- Steward vital infrastructure supporting deployments of Microsoft's online services.
- Assist with supplier selection and overseeing mechanical supplier execution
- Learn, live, and coach the One Microsoft culture and values. Lead through change by bringing clarity, generating energy, and delivering success.
- 10+ years of experience with industrial or commercial field engineering in mission critical facilities and mechanical infrastructures
- College/university/professional degree in Mechanical, Industrial, or Process Engineering or related work experience
- Fundamental understanding of the International Mechanical Code and Uniform/International Plumbing Codes
- Strong technical knowledge in the operation of facility environments' various heating and cooling systems. (Centrifugal chillers, chilled water, adiabatic, thermal storage systems, CRAH/CRAC, etc.)
- Practical experience with building management systems and automation, controls & frameworks
- Understanding of maintenance & operation of critical environment backup electrical equipment. (Diesel generators, radiator, ventilation systems, fuel storage, distribution, & protection systems, etc.)
- Knowledge of construction techniques, terminology, and documentation (Ability to interpret blueprints, electrical one-lines, construction drawings etc.)
- Licensed Professional Engineer
- Solid understanding of critical datacenter CE equipment
- Experience with alternative, energy efficient water treatment methodologies and developing chemistry programs for processed water treatment
The successful candidate must have an active U.S. Government Top Secret Security Clearance. Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. Failure to maintain or obtain the appropriate clearance and/or customer screening requirements may result in employment action up to and including termination.
Clearance Verification: This position requires successful verification of the stated security clearance to meet federal government customer requirements. You will be asked to provide clearance verification information prior to an offer of employment.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.